Operator Trades

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by someonesomewhere, Oct 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dare I say it, but i have a serious Question

I have been tasked to put together a presentation of all the past operator trades since the corp formed. Can anyone help with correct titles, dates, jobs, equipment used and standards required?

The most recent trades (RS OP, CS OP) are not to hard to find but when you start to go back a bit, information is harder to get hold of.

Many Thanks!

(Tryed the usual Web and Corp Museum)

2. Well, going back between 1982 and 1998, on the operator side there were

Radio Telegraphist (RTg), which became Telecommunications Operator (Telegraphy) in the early 90's (AKA Gods children!!!)

Data Telegraphist (DTg), changed to Telecommunications Operator (Data)

Radio Operator (RadOp), changed to Telecommunications Operator (Radio)

Hope that helps

JT

3. OY! you forgot THE trade Telecommuunications Operator Radio Relay!

4. Only joined Sigs in 99 but have been Tele Op(Sys), Tele Op(RR), AS Op, RS Op, ICS Op and you can probably guess the last one.

5. Don't forget R Signals Clerks ! Tele Op (PandA) !!!

6. Just wanted to slip in that I was a Tele Op (TG) back in the day now a lowly ICS Op (UK Ops) wtf!?!?

Never refered to ourselves as Gods Children though, was always Jedi Knights in my day :D

7. Not forgetting Spec OP (STG - Special Telegraphist) which later changed to TOS (Telecommunications operator special) and also EWOP (Electronic Warfare operator)

8. So to consolidate:

Telegraphist Operator (TG Op) which became Radio Telegraphist (RTG) which became Telecommunications Operator (Telegraphy) (Tele Op (Tg) which became Radio Systems Operator (RS Op) and is now CS Op (guessing that last one is Communications Systems Operator)

Radio Operator (R Op) which became Combat Radioman (Cbt Rmn) which became Telecommunications Operator (Radio) (Tele Op (Rad)) which became Radio Systems Operator (RS Op) and is now CS Op

Radio Relay Operator (RR Op) which became Combat Radioman (Cbt Rmn) which became Telecommunications Operator (Radio Relay) (Tele Op (RR)) which became Area Systems Operator (AS Op) and is now CS Op

Telecommunications Operator (Systems) (Tele Op (Sys)) – invented for Ptarmigan - which became Area Systems Operator (AS Op) and is now CS Op

COMMCEN Operator (COMMCEN Op) which became Data Telegraphist (DTG) which became Telecommunications Operator (Data) (Tele Op (Data)) which died as a result of technology about 1998 – AKA ‘grosse handbags’

Switchboard Operator which died as a result of technology about... god knows when... AKA ‘switch bitch’ actually only remember Signals attached WRAC doing this job

Special Operator (Spec Op) which became Telecommunications Operator (Special) (Tele Op (Spec) and is undergoing another name change to Electronic Warfare Systems Operator (EWSO)

Electronic Warfare Operator (EW Op) which became Telecommunications Operator (Linguist) (Tele Op (Ling)) and left the Corps to become slime about 2000? (stand to be corrected on that)

Information Systems Operator (IS Op) invented about 2000 and is now IS Engr (read CardinalSin 's post below for the future)

I remember my first YofS telling me about a Cryptography Operator (Crypto Op) - apparently known as a 'Queenie' - don't know any more. Job subsumed before my time and taken over as additional skillsets by selected RTG & DTG (WITH NO EXTRA PAY!!).

I only go back to mid 70's and know of 1 generation before my time, I'm sure there were trades before these ones. Kit they worked on? radios & pigeons & stuff - go and visit the Corps museum, there's a website attached to the Corps page on the Army site.

Any more for any more?

Editted due to being 'updated' by CardinalSin below

9. Radio Op then Combat radio Op 62-84
    used C11/R210 HF, C41 C45 VHF, D11 HF A41 VHF (?) A13 (?) String, flags and runners.

10. Talk to the Corps Museum, lots of trades before, OWL - Operator Wireless and Line to name just one I have been told about.

11. IS Engr not ICS Op. ICS Op is only TA.

Am I imagining:
    Tele Op (Smoke and Mirrors)
    Tele Op (Two Tin Cans And Piece Of String)
    Tele Op (Shouting Very Loudly In Welsh)

12. Now I'm confused, I was told (only last week) by a serving h'officer that there is now only one operator - are you saying 'it's' called an IS Engr?

13. IS Op was reallocated to the Technician CEG and renamed IS Engr about 2 years ago. It's no longer an operator trade, mate.

RS Op and AS Op are both now CS Op, while Tech and IS Engr will eventually be combined to form CS Engr.

Serving h'officers, like the rest of us, don't always know what they are talking about.

14. Fair cop, I don't know why I should have believed him, he only works for the big boss!!

That'll teach me then. :lol:

I'll amend my potted history above and add another I've just thought about - Switchboard Ops!!

15. I remember doing my Basic Signalling Skills at Harrogate on a 60/140 exchange (I think that's correct) - anyone remember 'Trying to connect you sir....' etc etc. This was in 1982, and never saw one of those things again, although there are/were the exchanges installed in the SAS/MC's (Am probably well out of touch on this now!!)

PS. I didn't get any extra pay for being Crypto Op either!!!

:x