Operator CPC (O Licence)

Anyone undertaken Operator CPC training recently and if so who with and are they any good & any to avoid?
Have looked at EP Training in Surrey as used them before for ADR retakes & Driver CPC.

As my current job might be going, thought of joining the darkside become a Transport/Operator CPC Manager.
Any advice most welcome, I'm paying for the course myself so do not want to waste money on crap training providers.

So your going to be one of those people of a dodgy parentage, who when asked " I need to be home Friday early, so can I have a fairly close job please?"
Instead sends the poor Barsteward to Aberdeen with the helpful saying "oh you'll be weekended up there......."
May the fleas of a 1000 camel's infest your arm pits you turncoat.

ps. Good luck you'll need it. Coz you know how popular you'll be :mrgreen:
Don't care any more, I've just retired from driving after 38 years International work.

Anyone undertaken Operator CPC training recently and if so who with and are they any good & any to avoid?
Have looked at EP Training in Surrey as used them before for ADR retakes & Driver CPC.

As my current job might be going, thought of joining the darkside become a Transport/Operator CPC Manager.
Any advice most welcome, I'm paying for the course myself so do not want to waste money on crap training providers.
I would suggest home study is the cheapest and best value route. All a classroom based course includes over and above your study notes is clarification of concepts such as axle configurations,lights and driver hours. Stuff that you already know from your HGV, DCPC and life in general. Save your dosh !

CPC for Transport Managers (Road Haulage) Home Study - Operator Compliance Stationery - The Road Haulage Association

Last edited:
Poxy useless waste of time CPC has done more damage to the Bus/Coach/Transport industry than anything else I know. Many good, solid older hands have simply packed it in rather do it.
I wouldn’t mind if it was actually worth anything more than a paper shuffling exercise. 35hrs over 5 years & 5 modules to complete the set...right. But, you can do the same module 5 times & still get your CPC. Proves what bolleux it really is. Even the instructor on one of my courses said the same. Teaching your granny to suck eggs springs to mind.
It’s not going away with Brexit either. UK govt is keeping it.

Poxy useless waste of time CPC has done more damage to the Bus/Coach/Transport industry than anything else I know. Many good, solid older hands have simply packed it in rather do it.
I wouldn’t mind if it was actually worth anything more than a paper shuffling exercise. 35hrs over 5 years & 5 modules to complete the set...right. But, you can do the same module 5 times & still get your CPC. Proves what bolleux it really is. Even the instructor on one of my courses said the same. Teaching your granny to suck eggs springs to mind.
I agree 100% about the drivers CPC, however the CPC for transport managers/operators has been required for at least 30 years and has imho raised standards and the reputation of hauliers.

Apologies for the thread shift.

Just starting the process for my CPC and already confused!
Why have a CPC theory test just to get the initial CPC completed? Surely the fact ive passed and have the license is enough to show that im eligible.

Why have a CPC theory test just to get the initial CPC completed? Surely the fact ive passed and have the license is enough to show that im eligible.
Driver Initial Driver CPC Training
Undertake and pass the LGV medical
Module 1 (Pass theory and hazard perception)
Module 2 (Pass case study theory test)
Module 3 (Pass practical driving test)
Module 4 (Pass associated knowledge practical exam)

After passing the Initial Driver CPC qualification, all wanting to drive for hire or reward must undertake 35 hours of Periodic Training every five years. The minimum length of a training course is 7 hours. Driver CPC is valid for 5 years

Driver Initial Driver CPC Training
Undertake and pass the LGV medical
Module 1 (Pass theory and hazard perception)
Module 2 (Pass case study theory test)
Module 3 (Pass practical driving test)
Module 4 (Pass associated knowledge practical exam)

After passing the Initial Driver CPC qualification, all wanting to drive for hire or reward must undertake 35 hours of Periodic Training every five years. The minimum length of a training course is 7 hours. Driver CPC is valid for 5 years

AHH now that makes sense, ive passed Mod 1 and 3 but never got to do 2 or 4.
From experience how hard is it for a new driver to get work?

I completely agree. For Drivers that have been on the job for over...... what 15 years experience, its a bloody insult.
With drivers, just starting out. It's not such a bad idea, if it was used to improve the new drivers skill set. Good example, wasn't a new driver as such. He'd been driving for 10 or so years on containers, when he came to us, no idea how to use Ratchet straps, chains and binders. He didn't even know how to do a rope hitch or dolly knot.
There are courses for loading and load security. I suspect you learnt on the job as I did.
But in today's environment where safety first is the watch word, also with the amount of traffic on the road today and the shortage of drivers, some companies chuck 'em in a truck and say go...
A lot of new drivers, just don't have an understanding of drivers hrs. It is so confusing now days, even l got my knickers in a twist now and again. Anything to keep them out of the courts, can't be a bad thing.

Two completely different CPCs.
There is a Transport manager CPC which is a requirement to apply for an operators licence,( the little Blue or Green disc in the windscreen) this is a level 3 NVQ, with an exam which if passed needs no additional training.
I think you are talking about the Drivers CPC which requires 35 hours training every 5 years, This does not require an exam.

I would suggest booking it through the FTA, very good instructors with a high pass rate.

Exam in 2 parts, 1 multiple choice of 40 questions followed by a 3 hour written exam.

AHH now that makes sense, ive passed Mod 1 and 3 but never got to do 2 or 4.
From experience how hard is it for a new driver to get work?
Depends, try Manpower Recruitment Agency or through who you did your training with as a few of the good training providers have links these days to driver recruitment agencies, the other biggy is Driver Hire You might get Lutons to begin with but bigger with experience and trust then you need ADR or HIAB to get even better jobs!