Operatives

Doc Badger

Clanker
Sorry for the bone question, and sorry if it’s in an inappropriate place. I recently saw some publicity material for an ultramarathon where the organisers described themselves as formers “operatives” in the British Army.

It sounded Walty to me so I questioned it but I was told that Special Forces types ARE known as operatives. It was my understanding that the term is “operators” and is an American thing. Am I wrong? Do UK SF types describe themselves as either operatives or operators?

Sorry for the bone question, and sorry if it’s in an inappropriate place. I recently saw some publicity material for an ultramarathon where the organisers described themselves as formers “operatives” in the British Army.

It sounded Walty to me so I questioned it but I was told that Special Forces types ARE known as operatives. It was my understanding that the term is “operators” and is an American thing. Am I wrong? Do UK SF types describe themselves as either operatives or operators?

What Ultra Marathon

TC20

Old-Salt

In the case of Ms Watkins:

Leadership Development Manager
Dates EmployedJan 2007 – Apr 2009
Employment Duration2 yrs 4 mos
Responsible for the planning and implementation of all training requirements for University engineering sponsorship scheme at Newcastle and Northumbria Universities based on leadership and team building skills.

Planned and organised a physically and mentally challenging leadership and team building project for 240 personnel under tight time lines and budgetary constraints. Described as ‘the most challenging and realistic training ever conducted’ by scheme Director.

TitleLogistic Support Manager
Dates EmployedApr 2004 – Dec 2006
Employment Duration2 yrs 9 mos
LocationUnited Kingdom, Germany and Iraq
Area Manager responsibilities to support daily operational contract to Catering and Mess Services Contract in NW Germany.

Operational responsibility for military logistic food supply chain in Middle East with 5,200 military personnel in-country valued over £5m.

TitleCommunications Manager
Dates EmployedJan 2003 – Mar 2004
Employment Duration1 yr 3 mos
LocationGermany, France and Iraq
Management of all personnel and equipment to provide secure and insecure technical communications.

Established, constructed and standardised a reliable communications infrastructure (secure and insecure) across the Middle East for a supply department of 600 personnel over 4 month period. A vital link that facilitated the daily movement of personnel and equipment on schedule.

TitleTransport Manager
Dates EmployedNov 2001 – Dec 2002
Employment Duration1 yr 2 mos
LocationUnited Kingdom, Norway and Afghanistan
Management for all unit personnel and vehicles (incl MHE, transport fuel capability and ISO container movement).

Planned and co-ordinated material out load from an outstation in Central Asia to allow realignment of personnel under difficult working conditions ahead of time.

Daz

LE

£15k for a man who has passed something called "the Airborne Parachute" and a woman with "extensive time with a prestigious FTSE 100 business" to take you on a 4-day jaunt in the hills.

Pretty brazen but good luck to them if they can get away with it.

PS I am reliably informed that real SAS men refer to themselves as "geezers"

£15k for a man who has passed something called "the Airborne Parachute" and a woman with "extensive time with a prestigious FTSE 100 business" to take you on a 4-day jaunt in the hills.

Pretty brazen but good luck to them if they can get away with it.

PS I am reliably informed that real SAS men refer to themselves as "geezers"
Think that's cockerknees you're thinking of

Daz

LE
Last edited:

slab

Old-Salt
Int Corps trades were called "operator" in my day. Operator Intelligence & Security and Operator Special Intelligence. This was a while ago and I think has probably changed. From previous posts, organisers look like RLC types.

walrusboy

War Hero
Int Corps trades were called "operator" in my day. Operator Intelligence & Security and Operator Special Intelligence. This was a while ago and I think has probably changed. From previous posts, organisers look like RLC types.
Operator MI now. Alas, most are unable to operate an iron.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads