Operational Service Medal for Congo

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by barbs, Jan 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Missed this at the time of publication (Nov 05) and not heard of it until today:

2. Paris? Benign? Have you seen bar-prices there recently?

3. and its full of frenchies!!

4. How long did one have to be in Ituri Province? I know a bloke who doesn't qualify, but was in Bunia before the dates (when it really was an iffy place to be), during the dates (albeit briefly), was the only serving Brit military in the country for the whole qualifying period (I think) and grafted for the mission.

I know, I know. Stop whining. But if we are to go a bit like the Yanks then let's do it properly. South Atlantic medals were awarded for service outside the theatre after all.

And............

"A broad central red stripe, flanked each side by stripe of royal blue and a stripe of light blue; with an outer stripe of ochre to reflect the landscape in the DROC."

How do they work out that those colours reflect the landscape of the DRC or is it just the ochre? I would argue that the predominant colour is green, as in the forest.

5. The answer is:

The Red, blue and blue represent the three Armed Forces - representative of their relative contribution (as seen on the 1939-45 Star (equal) and the Africa Star (mostly Army and some Navy and some RAF).

6. Fair enough but how long did one have to be in Ituri "on, or in support of Operation CORAL" to qualify. And which Brits were in Ituri not "on, or in support of Operation CORAL" at that time? Oops, it has just occured to me that one of the Brits in MONUC might have gone there for a while.

The Red, blue and blue represent the three Armed Forces - representative of their relative contribution (as seen on the 1939-45 Star (equal) and the Africa Star (mostly Army and some Navy and some RAF).[/quote]

I still don't get the ochre.

7. I think MONUC gives it away - that is a UN mission...

Ochre? looks pretty?

8. I know that MONUC is a UN mission and I fully appreciate that current rules state that you can't be awarded two medals for the same deployment (although it did happen in Korea) and so British military personnel serving with MONUC would not qualify whether they were in Ituri District at that time or not.

I'm not being deliberately obtuse here but I'm still not clear how long would one have had to have spent in Ituri, on or in support of OP CORAL ,in order to claim the gong if one were not a part of MONUC, got no other award and yet worked in support of OP CORAL?

9. Korea - Spotter that I am - not all soldiers got both medals - there were different criteria.

I read it as 'just being there' within the period - there was a small deployment, and not a lot of throughput of personnel therefore not difficult to be sure that the appropriate rigour can be assumed.

I will see if there is any other info 'out there'.

10. Barbs, I've sent you a pm