Operational Service Bonus

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by REMEBlerk, Oct 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Des Browne has just announced that all troops on ops in Afghanistan, Iraq, and the Balkans will receive a tax-free bonus of £2440 over a 6-month tour. This will be paid as a per day allowance (i reckon it works out at about £12.40 per day), and it will be back-dated to 01 April 06.

Apparently, Gordon Brown has released £60million of new money to pay for it, and it will not affect any other defence spending.

I stand by to stow my tits!!!!! :eek: :D :D :D :D :D :D
  2. Are we still gonna get LSSA?
  3. Yep! It doesn't affect any other allowances (apparently). He's still answering questions from the rest of the House of Commons.
  4. Can he back date for 2003/2004/2005/and early 2006 on my behalf???
  5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

6. Bad_Crow wrote:
    Can he back date for 2003/2004/2005/and early 2006 on my behalf???

OldSnowy wrote:

7. Currently out here in Afghan. Latest rumour is that we are not actually getting a lump sum payment. Rather a temporary higher tax code.

Surely if this is true, just lets the government bank the funds allocated allowing them to earn interest, while the trickle feed me the bonus over a year.

Not happy if this turns out as true. Cannot really do a lot of investigation about it out here, would appreciate any feedback.
  8. Is it back dated at all ??? say 2005/2006??
  9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Backdated to the start of this Tax Year, or thereabouts - April 06. Nothing before then, I'm afraid.

And despite all the whinges, most would agree that it's better than a kick in the teeth.
  10. What about falklands? Is this bonus just for Afghanistan/Iraq/Balkans?? Seems a little unfair.
  11. And when does it get paid to us?? Can any one tell me please?
  12. What about otterburn and salisbury plain? :roll:
  13. I didn't realise salisbury plain was an operational theatre..............
  14. Didn't realise the Falklands was for the army considering time spent there doesn't even count towards the ACSM.
  15. Yep the CBFFI kept banging on that it was an Operational Theatre in our beginning brief thats why we have to do the joke of an "Infantry Level exercise" every 4 months.

I'm used to us being forgotten down here seeing as its not a medal tour but struggle to see how the Balkans is much more dangerous, just more recent