Operational Service Bonus

Des Browne has just announced that all troops on ops in Afghanistan, Iraq, and the Balkans will receive a tax-free bonus of £2440 over a 6-month tour. This will be paid as a per day allowance (i reckon it works out at about £12.40 per day), and it will be back-dated to 01 April 06.

Apparently, Gordon Brown has released £60million of new money to pay for it, and it will not affect any other defence spending.

I stand by to stow my tits!!!!! :eek: :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yep! It doesn't affect any other allowances (apparently). He's still answering questions from the rest of the House of Commons.

Currently out here in Afghan. Latest rumour is that we are not actually getting a lump sum payment. Rather a temporary higher tax code.

Surely if this is true, just lets the government bank the funds allocated allowing them to earn interest, while the trickle feed me the bonus over a year.

Not happy if this turns out as true. Cannot really do a lot of investigation about it out here, would appreciate any feedback.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
3milesniper said:
Is it back dated at all ??? say 2005/2006??
Backdated to the start of this Tax Year, or thereabouts - April 06. Nothing before then, I'm afraid.

And despite all the whinges, most would agree that it's better than a kick in the teeth.

Fallschirmjager said:
Didn't realise the Falklands was for the army considering time spent there doesn't even count towards the ACSM.
Yep the CBFFI kept banging on that it was an Operational Theatre in our beginning brief thats why we have to do the joke of an "Infantry Level exercise" every 4 months.

I'm used to us being forgotten down here seeing as its not a medal tour but struggle to see how the Balkans is much more dangerous, just more recent

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Operational Bonus will be paid to those serving in Iraq, Afgahnistan, the Balkans and a couple of places 'They' are playing around in. it will be paid (after you apply for it) in a taxfree lump sum at the end of your tour, at a rate of £12.31 per day (including R&R periods). It will be backdated to 01 Apr 06.

Bonus!!

Legs said:
The Operational Bonus will be paid to those serving in Iraq, Afgahnistan, the Balkans and a couple of places 'They' are playing around in. it will be paid (after you apply for it) in a taxfree lump sum at the end of your tour, at a rate of £12.31 per day (including R&R periods). It will be backdated to 01 Apr 06.

Bonus!!
So when can i and how do i apply?

I went into my RAO last Thursday and applied for mine. I spoke to the Financial Admin Staffy who was waiting for JPA to be updated, then it's apparently just a case of adding your details on the system and waiting for the money to turn up in your bank.

So, to answer your question, go to your admin office and ask the clerk! They should be able to do it for you there and then. (Unless you're on JPA yourself, in which case I haven't got a clue. Sorry!)

the_man_in_the_corner said:
And when does it get paid to us?? Can any one tell me please?
Your admin staff must action a start and stop on the same transmission and send to AFPAA. To ensure accuracy, the input should be actioned from the original flight manifest.