Operational Medals

Whats the norm for getting your operation medal after deploying with a regular unit for a tour?

Looks like i'll signing for mine at my TAC, when all regulars i deployed with will be getting theres at a parade.

Dry your eyes princess - when it arrives in an envelope, second class post - then come back with the sob story!

In a nutshell, it differs between units. You post this from a perspective, that your service has been valued, right?!

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm still waiting on mine from Telic 4
Giz a shout in 4 years if you've got yours

to be honest i think i have the right to be a little hacked off with the TA, i think i put the TA in a positive light after a long hard tour then get f#cked off by my own battalion on my return, as i can't go to collect my medal with the rest of my COY because of the limit to MTDs.

ok thanks chaps

looks like i ve gone slightly mental, sorry about that brain fart there, i ll go back in my hole and cry in the corner

the_boy_syrup said:
There's one in the Chief Clerk's bottom drawer at CVHQ RA that isn't going anywhere. Ring Woolwich and make them an offer...

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
WarpSpasm said:
the_boy_syrup said:
There's one in the Chief Clerk's bottom drawer at CVHQ RA that isn't going anywhere. Ring Woolwich and make them an offer...
I ring up and ask for it
They ring someone on here
I get put in the walt thread and you lot pick on me

No thanks
Anyway I've only just finished engraving my name on he bottom of my MM :wink:

I'll see your four years wait and raise you :D First Op Banner tour in 91-92. Got issued my GSM in 1999. When i was a member of the T.A. funnily enough. Add to that ACSM qualified for in 2003. Issued that earlier this year. 2nd class post too. Only bloody medal I was issued "on time" was the QGJM for friggsake :D

ugly

LE
At least you are young enough to serve in an era when more than just a single GSM is given for 6 or 7 tours! Given would be too nice as thrown at me by CSM would be more accurate! That was regs by the way!

Z

Zarathustra

Im a regular, i got 3 of my medals out of a box in the clerks office, the fourth i got out of a box in the clerks office then handed it in so it could be given to me.

misterp said:
to be honest i think i have the right to be a little hacked off with the TA, i think i put the TA in a positive light after a long hard tour then get f#cked off by my own battalion on my return, as i can't go to collect my medal with the rest of my COY because of the limit to MTDs.
OK, that is a bit shite. I suppose you could just go unpaid for the day ? ( Regs - that is a bit shite is it not ? - "One Army" and all that tosh....)

At the other end of the scale they are so keen to get piccies of blokes being presented medals into the papers up here that they were holding wee parades and ceremonies all over - some blokes were "presented" with their medals on a number of occaisions....

Never had any of mine at a parade - mostly the "slung at you by the clerk years later " mode.

for a Reg unit to have a medals parade and the TA not to be invited smacks of them and us, regardless on how others have been "presented" their medals. Your unit PSAO should have applied for extra MTDs (its so easy - I rarely did less than 200 days in my last 4 years in green). If he was adament that MTDs were not available you should still have got to go without pay. Was that an option?

misterp said:
Whats the norm for getting your operation medal after deploying with a regular unit for a tour?

Looks like i'll signing for mine at my TAC, when all regulars i deployed with will be getting theres at a parade.
You should be invited as it should happen during your POTL.

msr

All TA, RMR and RNR that deployed with us were invited to medals week. Rehearsals, BBQs, drinkies, more rehearsals, drinkies, fund raisers, some drinks, march through town and medals presentation back at camp.

On the day all was organised from family parking, passes & transport - plenty of food and drink.

A bloody good day for families and a good week for those who chose to pop back rather than demob at the earliest opportunity. All those mobilised and regular ranks who were getting their Afghan medal and had family down for the presentation were lobbed in the front rank. The gaffer had even arranged decent weather.

Other medal presentations; two in a bar and one in the post - they are all now very decent Christmas tree decorations.

Fallschirmjager said:
ugly said:
At least you are young enough to serve in an era when more than just a single GSM is given for 6 or 7 tours!
Do you get an OSM Afghanistan for each tour you do then?
I think he is alluding to the fact that back in the day the GSM could/would and indeed did cover a number of op tours (aden borneo NI etc. etc.) and only came with one ribbon rather than the different coloured ribbons for different theatre of ops now (SL/Congo/AFG etc.).