Operational Linguist duties..........

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by sigLnal, Jan 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi im a signaller based in Germany i recently took a MLAT test at my local AEC and scored 80-89% or so it says on JPA. can anyone tell me if this would be good enough to apply for Operational Linguist duties and if so, would a signaller of only 4 years be accepted on the course.

Thanks

2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I did a Linguist German course in 1980 on the recommendation of my AEC after walking a Colloquial Course (after a Grade 1 at O Level) as a trooper of just over four years in a cavalry regiment (promoted lance corporal between phases 1 and 2). Almost the whole of the course were Intelligence (on Phase 2 there were only about four of us, chose the same dates for all three phases so we knew one another well enough very quickly: they were all I Corps).

They spent the entire course trying to headhunt me, so I don't see why you shouldn't be in demand. On the other hand, in 1980 there was a Cold War on and four armoured divisions waiting for 3 Shock Army to join the party and it was the only party in town unless you happened to have studied Linguist Norn Iron.

I sometimes wonder where I'd be if I'd taken their offer.

3. A good mate of mine passed in the 90% bracket and was told anything over 80% was good. Go ahead and apply; Beaconsfield can't be that bad for 15 months and the additional pay when you pass is well worth it. Said mate is a fat knacker SA Maj so....