Operational Linguist duties..........

Hi im a signaller based in Germany i recently took a MLAT test at my local AEC and scored 80-89% or so it says on JPA. can anyone tell me if this would be good enough to apply for Operational Linguist duties and if so, would a signaller of only 4 years be accepted on the course.

Thanks

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hi im a signaller based in Germany i recently took a MLAT test at my local AEC and scored 80-89% or so it says on JPA. can anyone tell me if this would be good enough to apply for Operational Linguist duties and if so, would a signaller of only 4 years be accepted on the course.

Thanks
I did a Linguist German course in 1980 on the recommendation of my AEC after walking a Colloquial Course (after a Grade 1 at O Level) as a trooper of just over four years in a cavalry regiment (promoted lance corporal between phases 1 and 2). Almost the whole of the course were Intelligence (on Phase 2 there were only about four of us, chose the same dates for all three phases so we knew one another well enough very quickly: they were all I Corps).

They spent the entire course trying to headhunt me, so I don't see why you shouldn't be in demand. On the other hand, in 1980 there was a Cold War on and four armoured divisions waiting for 3 Shock Army to join the party and it was the only party in town unless you happened to have studied Linguist Norn Iron.

I sometimes wonder where I'd be if I'd taken their offer.

A good mate of mine passed in the 90% bracket and was told anything over 80% was good. Go ahead and apply; Beaconsfield can't be that bad for 15 months and the additional pay when you pass is well worth it. Said mate is a fat knacker SA Maj so....