Operational Language Course (Pashto)

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by SatiricalCamel, Aug 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As a fresh out-the-box Bootneck who took an MLAT and somehow managed to score decently, I have found myself being loaded onto a Pashto course at DSL starting beginning of September.....Appartantly I will be there until March, whereupon I will re-join my troop for Herrick 17.

If anyone could give me a bit of a heads-up about what the course is like, or if there is anything I should be doing to prepare, that would be great. I heard there are some financial rewards up for grabs too? How much could I be looking to get?

2. All I know about this is that there is indeed a pay increase involved but only if you're being used in that capacity on operations. Now for my last deployment the pay wallahs decreed that only 'Interpreters' fall into that capacity (of which as a bog standard chap you would most likely not be one) however you may find that the RN may have a different view. You should pass the course as a 'Linguist' and provided that you are used by the patrol in that capacity you'll be on the mega bucks as it were.
  3. I've seen this on the RAOL list do any reservists on the forum have any details in the course?
  4. I'm looking to be a linguist in the army in the not too distant future and obviously will need to do the MLAT, can you tell me anything about the exam? What sort of things do they ask?
  5. Well, it's an aptitude test, so you can't really prepare for it. There's a listening section, a bit where you have to memorise some words.....stuff like that. There's no interview.
  6. I can speak Pushto, and if you require any help just let me know. I speak Waziri/Khost dialect.
  7. Fcuk off you bellthronk.
  8. lmao

whats a bellthronk?
  9. Thanks for that, as a linguist already I like to think that I should be able to pass the test with flying colours but know that it's not really like that. You say that you'll be away learning Pashto for about 6 months before rejoining your troop, is this normal? I thought the language course was 2 years?
  10. Not all language courses have the same desired end level of qualification and competence. The intended employments for linguists vary considerably.
  11. My language course (German) was a month at Mulheim ADR and off down the pub. I must say that learning to speak German increased my chances with the frauleins no end. However as a Pashto speaker you should probably keep a fly swatter handy when talking to the local girilas.
  12. There are 4 levels that the MOD recognise according to the DIN, each with progressively higher daily rates and bonus payouts. I think i'm on the functional one......
  13. Not everything is about females or women. Learn to respect others customs and culture.

I think you will need a gun to fed off some of the tarty tarts you have in the UK.
  14. Better yet, learn to abide by the customs and culture of the country you are in. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
  15. Speak s l o w l y and quite loud. Works for me. A few hand gestures work quite well to.