Operational Honours Sep 2011

Well done all. Can tell I'm getting on a bit when I trained one of the recipients of a more "senior" award...

A hearty congratulations to all concerned.

Just a query though, when did it stop becoming the norm for Commanding Officers not to be awarded a DSO following a succesful operational tour?

Well done - couple of blokes lining up for CGS!

TA seem a bit light again - 4% of the awards ( not gongs either), I presume it is because they are not in command roles or key staff roles?

Is this a true reflection of the TA's contribution in theatre?

Well done - couple of blokes lining up for CGS!

TA seem a bit light again - 4% of the awards ( not gongs either), I presume it is because they are not in command roles or key staff roles?

Is this a true reflection of the TA's contribution in theatre?
Probably not a fully true reflection of the TA's contribution but more a reflection on who does the write ups.

Good to see a few Jocks in there, including this one...

Private Joweli Vakalalavanua TOLUTINIKAONO, The Royal Regiment of Scotland

Must be a West Coast clan name ;)

Probably not a fully true reflection of the TA's contribution but more a reflection on who does the write ups.
Reb,

HS and I are working on your citation now, we aim to get it to the Adjt of 49 MI Bn (PARA) (V) by the end of next week.

( It's actually Whiskeybreath, but he is also forward-deployed at the moment << on v marginal comms>>)

The draft needs a bit more work,we only have the word "outstanding" in 11 times at the moment, that will only get you a US award IIRC.

With his unit pinned down for over 4 hours this officer showed decisive leadership, repeatedly exposing himself to withering enemy fire,with total disregard for his own safety. Despite sustaining several serious wounds, RWAC continued to lead from the front, repeatedly drawing enemy fire away from the rest of his unit.

Without his decisive action that day it is probably that there would have been multiple fatalities, only by RWAC's selfless and daring action did his unit manage to brake contact at Pops and withdraw to the safety of Eddies

...only ... marginal ...because supplied ...your...lot .. ..showe ..f ...stards...
After your call to our helpdesk on 16th August,we rang your procurment department in Montreal, Quebec, to point out that they had not elected to take the parts of the contract we offered with user / maintainer training, software mainatainace and upgrades, 24/7 support, the recommended business continuity upgrades, second line spares and repairs package.

Their answerphone message told us that they were closed until Bastille day. We have just phoned them this afternoon and they have cleared the email backlog as far as 13me Août.

The use of the term "stellar reputation" often works but in my case it's more "reputed to be on Stella".

The use of the term "stellar reputation" often works but in my case it's more "reputed to be on Stella".
DON'T get HS started on the drying rooms again !!

( Stella was in Squad 59 IIRC?)

DON'T get HS started on the drying rooms again !!

( Stella was in Squad 59 IIRC?)
Quite honestly I have no idea who was in which squad, I rely heavily on HS for matters historical.

HS = Historical Spook

A hearty congratulations to all concerned.

Just a query though, when did it stop becoming the norm for Commanding Officers not to be awarded a DSO following a succesful operational tour?
The practice of awarding the DSO for a good tour began on Op Grapple in 1993, I believe.

Congrats to all.

Reb,

HS and I are working on your citation now.
With his unit pinned down for over 4 hours this officer showed decisive leadership, repeatedly exposing himself to withering enemy fire,with total disregard for his own safety. Despite sustaining several serious wounds, RWAC continued to lead from the front, repeatedly drawing enemy fire away from the rest of his unit.

Without his decisive action that day it is probably that there would have been multiple fatalities, only by RWAC's selfless and daring action did his unit manage to brake contact at Pops and withdraw to the safety of Eddies
I might remember that engagement, enlisted as members of the 1st Rheindahlen Foot (Marlborough's Own) but not exactly who the enemy were; I seem to remember one Andy T, (a scotsman with a penchant for PTand fighting anyone at all), one Billy C, (later cashiered for disposing illegally of classified material and from Stoke) and one ginormous bloke called Tiny (RIP) a later transferree to the Corps possibly involved in fighting the rearguard action as I followed RWAC through the door as he led a glorious retreat to safety and the clutches of those darlings of 29 Coy WRAC in Eddies. I think I got the beers in and RWAC has yet to repay my generosity. I may be wrong though, it might have been me that grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and cajoled him into living to fight another day.

A silly comment. If you're deserving of an award, you are written up, regardless of what unit, Reg or TA, or service you are. It is then up to Higher to decide waht goes forward. Collectively, the TA need to get rid of the chip on the shoulder and get on with what they've been asked to do, which currently is to support the Regular Army on operations. Trying to analyse and give percentages of TA etc does the whole process a great disservice.

A big well done to all the recipients.

A silly comment. If you're deserving of an award, you are written up, regardless of what unit, Reg or TA, or service you are. It is then up to Higher to decide waht goes forward. Collectively, the TA need to get rid of the chip on the shoulder and get on with what they've been asked to do, which currently is to support the Regular Army on operations. Trying to analyse and give percentages of TA etc does the whole process a great disservice.

A big well done to all the recipients.
I believe you misunderstood what I was saying, at least I hope you did. At no stage was it a pop at the Regs on behalf of the TA, I've been both for what it's worth. Nor was I advocating any sort of analysis or percentage checks. If anything it was a statement that as a Corps we do not do well at the whole honours and awards thing. This may be due to many factors, lack of familiarity with the system and pace of Ops not allowing people time to get the nominations spot on being two of them. Everyone of the recent awards were no doubt well deserved (I know a couple of the recipients and they certainly earned them). So I hope you'll see that any accusation of trying to be divisive is baseless.