Operational Honours and Awards List: 24 September 2010

Congratulations to all. Well deserved indeed.

AFGHANISTAN

Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE)

Major Patrick Simon REEHAL, The Royal Logistic Corps

Military Cross (MC)

Staff Sergeant Gareth David WOOD, The Royal Logistic Corps

George Medal (GM)

Acting Warrant Officer Class 2 Karl John Fairfax LEY, The Royal Logistic Corps

Queen's Gallantry Medal (QGM)

Corporal Robert Alan NEALEY, The Royal Logistic Corps

Mention in Despatches (MiD)

Staff Sergeant Brian McINTYRE, The Royal Logistic Corps
Staff Sergeant Gareth Desmond REID, The Royal Logistic Corps
Corporal Daniel SPRUCE, The Royal Logistic Corps

Queen's Commendation for Bravery (QCB)

Warrant Officer Class 2 Andrew David GOODWIN, The Royal Logistic Corps
Captain Daniel READ, The Royal Logistic Corps (Killed in action)

REST OF THE WORLD

Queen's Commendation for Bravery (QCB)

Lance Corporal Jamie Martyn TAYLOR, The Royal Logistic Corps

Hearty congratulations to all who remain with us. RIP Dan.

Congrats Badger and Rob and everyone else! R.I.P Dan

A ******* QCB for giving his life, bloody disgraceful especially when you know the HQ element would be falling over themselves to be written up for MBEs etc.

Apparantly dealing with a device with the minimum of equipment and often in a TIC is rarely considered gallant. They have shown scantvrespect for Dan and what he did.

Good to see No2s getting recognition.

Well done!
He was Oz's No2. He deserved more than a QGM. If you knew thw full story you'd agree.

Sprucey the great lumox, is a good lad always in bother (remind you of anyone?), he got knocked on his arse when I got hit (he was only about 5m away) and still returned to the scene later to exploit it. I thought that was very mature and professional.

Dinger, duty rumour has it that he went looking for your wallet, but he didn't realise that a piece of shrapnel had gouged a large enough hole in it to allow the resident moth to stick it's wings out and get airborne........You can keep your money, but you'll never take it's freeeeeedom!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
SOURCE
Record-breaking counter-IED operator awarded George Medal
28/09/2010
A soldier credited with dealing with more improvised explosive devices than any other British operator in history has been awarded the George Medal for his bravery.

A soldier tentatively brushes away the dust from a suspect object beneath the surface of a road near Garmsir, Afghanistan [Picture: Petty Officer Airman (Photographer) Dave Husbands, Crown Copyright/MOD 2009]

Acting Warrant Officer Class 2 Karl Ley of the Royal Logistic Corps made safe and recovered 139 IEDs across Helmand province during his tour of duty from 5 September 2009 to 14 March 2010. During this period, A/WO2 Ley was a High Threat Improvised Explosive Device Disposal Operator who was called on to defuse improvised explosive devices throughout Helmand.

The citation for the award states that in supporting the infantry's intensity of operations A/WO2 Ley willingly accepted an incredibly high level of personal risk, often having to deploy on foot with only what he could carry in his rucksack, and that, on a 72-hour operation in November 2009, A/WO2 Ley defused 28 victim-operated improvised explosive devices and tackled 14 bombs:

"This single day typifies the sheer determination, guile and awesome bravery of this man," the citation reads.

At times A/WO2 Ley had to clear bombs with insurgent mortars and gunshots landing as little as 100ft (30m) away from him. He said:
"If you are being shot at, you just get down on the deck, so you may as well get rid of the bomb while you are down there.

"I don't see it as particularly dangerous," he added. "I just see it as a job, something that needs to be done.

"Other soldiers think my job is dangerous while they would quite happily engage the enemy in a firefight. I really dislike it when people shoot at me."

Despite his genuine modesty, A/WO2 Ley's citation records that he:
"... worked tirelessly in the most hazardous of conditions, enduring both mental and physical fatigue, displaying unwavering dedication and conspicuous gallantry over a sustained period."
Detail....off CAPS (stand still there!)

Stout fella....the beer's on Dingerr Sir..... :)

A ******* QCB for giving his life, bloody disgraceful especially when you know the HQ element would be falling over themselves to be written up for MBEs etc.

Apparantly dealing with a device with the minimum of equipment and often in a TIC is rarely considered gallant. They have shown scantvrespect for Dan and what he did.
I agree - he probably fell foul of some arcane rule that says you can't have any of the other medals posthumously. Kinda like the VC/GC or MID but nothing in between. Daft isn't it?

Major Patrick Simon REEHAL, The Royal Logistic Corps
Not sure whats more shocking;
a. hes still in.
b. Someone thought it was a good idea to make him Major" Patch" Reehal
c. Theyve decided to give him an MBE

Either way I hope your OK patch and still looking after the Toms the same way you did as a 2Lt. Top Job

SK

I am not mocking anyone on here but that is a remarkably clean weapon system just laying in the sand.
What? Are you trying to imply the photo might be staged. That the photographer wasn't really 5m behind him as he un-covered a real device.

What next? - war artists not dodging bullets as they slap paint onto canvas. You'll be telling me next that John Wayne wasn't really on the beaches of Normandy

I hate to point this out, but the photo caption says: "A soldier tentatively brushes away the dust from a suspect object beneath the surface of a road near Garmsir". No mention that it is A/WO2 Ley GM.