Operational Eyewear - What they do and corrective lenses

Thanks wall kid! Usefull.......

So i can still follow the advice kitmonster gave for the ESS design for the inserts in the meantime?

Not quite tomorrow but I have got a memory like a sieve:

Revision X Insert NSN 8465-99-743-6584

In a comment to those seeking similar for their civvie job:

I am septic sort but since eyes are eyes all over the world I presume Hominy opticians are the same as Septic. I have worn specs since age 9* and in my job I had to be fitted for SCBA mask** and my regular optician had all the specifications and made up the prescription insert for a Scott mask with no problem. He made then varifocal as sometimes one needs to see across a distance and sometimes read a meter or gauge. Twice I was sent to the CDP at what was formerly Fort McClellan for training to work with live (not dummy) nerve agents and brought the Scott facemask and inserts. I discovered that we were not to use SCBA but the standard US gasmask M40A1. I discovered the inserts that fitted the Scott fitted the M40 just fine.

* - when I was 9 years old dinosaur attack was a major concern. Long long ago

** - not sure how it works in the UK but in the US if job requires SCBA each person has to be issued their own mask to fit the SCBA to be used. No swapping due to health and safety rules.

4(T)

LE
BUMP

Does anyone know of a UK mail order firm that can supply ESS ICE prescription lens on a straightforward personal order basis?

The inserts are for civvie use, so the military order system isn't available to me. I don't think the military supplier - Opthalmic Technologies Ltd - is interested in dealing with non-corporate orders. I've tried various opticians, but then you're into the process of "sending off the frames" to see if their supplier can fit something, etc.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a supplier of prescription ballistic eyewear in SE England where it is possible to walk in, get an eye test and have something made up?

Does anyone have a set of the inserts that they no longer use, at -1 (I hope that is correct for measuring short sight...) as they would be rather useful and I am fed up with using civi glasses that drop off on the move? Would be happy to discuss a price.

FR
Find a cool dude surf or snowboarder shop, grab yourself one or two 'Frogskins' retainers. Each is a simple flat strip of neoprene, ends stitched into tubes, into which you slide the earpieces of your specs. I used to have a coupla sets, one for use when skydiving (having once had my specs dislodge in freefall: at -2.5 and unable to read an altimeter let alone land without them) and another in a subdued shade of dark brown for wear in uniform, I found them unobtrusive, comfy, simple and effective.

potter

Old-Salt
New eyewear here!

If you have the joy of RTMC ahead and you need glasses to see beyond the end of your rifle, take your old ESS as in the time you're there it is unlikely you'll get inserts and you have to pass you ACMT wearing ECBA, ballistic glasses and gloves (in addition to what you normally wear so no nakedness on the point!).

Anyone got the NSN for the inserts?
What's the score for those of us who do have the joys of RTMC, but no ESS or other issued eye-protection to date and cannot hit a barn door without some kind eye correction? Has the process now got as slick as the one indicated for ESS was ... i.e. can I turn up to RTMC with my current prescription and expect to get them in time? Otherwise I'll get on to RTMC as soon as possible to see if I can get the order in the system early.

Horridlittleman kindly posted the NSN

Revision X Insert NSN 8465-99-743-6584

There is no way they'll be done while you are at RTMC so get them done prior.

Get an eye appointment through your unit.

You'll need 2 sets of inserts 1 for googles and 1 for glasses. You really don't want to be chopping and changing.

Daggonet

Swinger
I've gotten myself a pair of ESS Crossbows with the inserts. Any tips on preventing the inserts from fogging up?

I've gotten myself a pair of ESS Crossbows with the inserts. Any tips on preventing the inserts from fogging up?
I have had great luck with a product called "Cat Crap Lens Cleaner Anti-fog" made by "EK Eksessories" in Utah, US.

I have used the stuff on inserts in SCBA and M40A1. I have also used it on regular glasses as I used to play ice hockey until I was far old to reasonably do so and the lenses would fog due to cold air and breath deflecting back from the the wire cage mask one wears (does not make sense but it happens. The form I used was a paste in a red plastic container and you smeared it on them wiped the lenses clean. I think they make a spray on sort too but I always used the paste. You proably do not have a lot of good ice hockey supply places in the UK but I have seen Cat Crap sold in every place that sells ski stuff here in the US.

You proably do not have a lot of good ice hockey supply places in the UK but I have seen Cat Crap sold in every place that sells ski stuff here in the US.
Alternatively just follow your cat into the flower bed and get if for free.

I'll get me coat.

Latest Threads