Operational Eyewear - What they do and corrective lenses

kitmonster

Old-Salt
press_it said:
10 out of 10 for the ESS Ice ballistic glasses. i'm short sighted so with the corrective perscription lenses they are a godsend. i can wear them all day out here in theatre without danger of them falling off and breaking, due to the headstrap. the issue def specs are really geeky looking and my civiy glasses cost money! as long as the corrective lenses inside stay unbroken, i can exchange the ESS glasses at the qm's - great!
as a mover (yeah, incoming awaited!) i have to drive a variety of vehicles at short notice aswell as do loads of manual lifting, being able to keep these glasses on and secure all day saves loads of time when getting into a wagon.
had a bit of a mare mindyou getting the insert lenses, sodding crab med centre's! had to get them flown out to me a month after i deployed!

couple of questions kitmonster:
1. can i get a replacement ESS cleaning cloth from the qm's? (as the suppled one is getting a little dirty now)
2. could i exchange the clear, tinted or yellow lenses if they get scratched at the qm's store or would i have to exchange the full ess ice kit?

cheers for your reply in advance mate. and a version of the excellent ess glasses issued to all with pecoc would be superb, especially to those of use who have to wear corrective glasses.
There are NSNs for the lenses and the complete kit but I would be surprised if we have bought any! I am not aware of great demand and so feel a complete replacement for those few who need new lens is cheaper than stocking loads of lens that will never get used.

The real key here is to make sure that you always have the latest version from the Black bag. If specs change (excuse the pun) you would want the latest and best performance not artificially extending the life of obsolete kit. There are also slight changes to things like the arms and the lenses which means a lens from July batch might not fit the arm of the August batch.

If you are on ops and there is the hint of a problem exchange them. If your not on ops the kit is unsupported.

PECOC will deliver a head sub-system which will include and range of visors, and a helmet, and some other protective add ons as well as the light and medium weight eyewear. They must all fit together so ESS may not be the way forward. What is important is that what ever is selected is the best available.

kitmonster

Old-Salt
captaink said:
back on the Revision issue it is a matter of Unit SOPs I think as to what can be worn on the basis a commander's neck is on the block if you are wearing non issue eye wear and an injury is suffered

some units have better things to do rather than worry about that, others happy if oakley, ess, wiley x or revision

I used Oakley M frames a lot and lot of lads had Revision goggles on - good kit was the verdict
I'll be very politically and commercially correct. There are eyewear manufactures that sell good products and there are eyewear manufactures that sell good marketing. If I was to list 10 manufactures you would not know which is which. Some of the manufactures who sell ballistic eyewear fail the UK tests; do you know which is which is which? Thought not.

While the system is unlikely to turn its back on you if your are blinded because of a desire to look cool rather than wear tested and proven kit there must be a certain morale responsibility to wear what you know works instead of what you reading from marketing blurb.

If Commanders are 'too busy' to care about the standard of protection, and therefore survivability, of their soldiers perhaps they do not desire to command?

Voltiguer

War Hero
I read captaink's comment of 'some units too busy to worry about that', 'that' being different protection from different glasses, as meaning that those units would say 'issued glasses only', rather than allowing other firms glasses too which may not be up to the mark. Not that those units would let people walk around in Ray Bans or whatever.

I mean the units aren't going to chase up all the different specs from all the different manufacturers to check they are protective enough just so lads can wear something different and ally, are they... Issued glasses only seems to be the way to go, seeing as then the Comd knows his lads are protected properly.

There again I am yet to go to places hot and dusty and English was never my strongest subject, so may well have the wrong end of the stick :p

future_rupert

Old-Salt
Does anyone have a set of the inserts that they no longer use, at -1 (I hope that is correct for measuring short sight...) as they would be rather useful and I am fed up with using civi glasses that drop off on the move? Would be happy to discuss a price.

FR

kitmonster

Old-Salt
future_rupert said:
Does anyone have a set of the inserts that they no longer use, at -1 (I hope that is correct for measuring short sight...) as they would be rather useful and I am fed up with using civi glasses that drop off on the move? Would be happy to discuss a price.

FR
The inserts are manufactured according to your sight problems and then shaped to fit inside the goggles or glasses, so no ops kit? no pint in getting Rx inserts.

JediGeek

Swinger
I've got a problem with mine, The prescription insert works perfectly when not in the frame, but as it clips in it bends slightly and alters the angle of the lenses causing a severe goldfish bowl view of the world. I've been to the opticians and he wrote up a comment on the '79 to state this, but the uk lens makers insisted they are right as the prescription is correct (which it is when measured out of the frame) and they are unable to fix this problem? I'm extremely miffed as at last we have prescription sun specs but due to a really minor issue I can't wear mine! I'm tempted to get the insert made privately but resent paying out for this. Anyone know of a helpful, knowledgeable person who can help with this?

JediGeek said:
I've got a problem with mine, The prescription insert works perfectly when not in the frame, but as it clips in it bends slightly and alters the angle of the lenses causing a severe goldfish bowl view of the world. I've been to the opticians and he wrote up a comment on the '79 to state this, but the uk lens makers insisted they are right as the prescription is correct (which it is when measured out of the frame) and they are unable to fix this problem? I'm extremely miffed as at last we have prescription sun specs but due to a really minor issue I can't wear mine! I'm tempted to get the insert made privately but resent paying out for this. Anyone know of a helpful, knowledgeable person who can help with this?
This is indeed unusual as it is not the lense that is becoming more concaved or convex in theory it should not alter your vision significantly, however you have stated it has, so I would suggest you go to your medical officer and explain your problem to him, although he will not be able to fix it, by going to see him you have gone through the appropriate channel of getting it fixed. If the MO agrees it is detrimental to your vision, he can write a note which can be put on your P file, you can then pay for them to be adjusted privately and claim it back on JPA. I would suggest that the best course of action would be to have the insert re-made in a malable metal so that you can adjust the angle yourself once the lenses are fitted. I am not sure who could remake it for you and would consider that a remake may affect the ballistic protection the the glasses provide.

Hope this helps.

D86

JediGeek said:
Hi All,
found this post by accident when googling, so I hope I am forgiven for this being my first post without an intro etc.

I had this exact issue with a revision Rx carrier, that I use at work (in a chemical plant) it was caused by the optemetrist assuming that the carrier would sit on my face like a normal pair of specs, but when you fit them to glasses/goggles they curve round, so you are looking through the lens on a diaganal plane which they did not allow for, had them redone and they are fine, I think it is called a prism effect they either have to allow for/add, also aggravated by your prescription strength mines a +8.

hope it helps a bit

JediGeek

Swinger
Thanks D86, I tried before but only got as far as the RAF receptionist who shrugged. I'll book an appointment with the MO and try and get them fixed properly. And glad to see it's not just me with the problem. My vision is about 7 dioptres short sighted so perhaps it only really becomes noticeable the more blind you are!

Grapevine

War Hero
As far as TA personnel are concerned, are issued corrective lenses/inserts for chaps in-theatre or PDT only?

If not I can stump up the £130~ for inserts and ESS glasses but would rather do it through official channels of course.

kitmonster said:
captaink said:
back on the Revision issue it is a matter of Unit SOPs I think as to what can be worn on the basis a commander's neck is on the block if you are wearing non issue eye wear and an injury is suffered

some units have better things to do rather than worry about that, others happy if oakley, ess, wiley x or revision

I used Oakley M frames a lot and lot of lads had Revision goggles on - good kit was the verdict
I'll be very politically and commercially correct. There are eyewear manufactures that sell good products and there are eyewear manufactures that sell good marketing. If I was to list 10 manufactures you would not know which is which. Some of the manufactures who sell ballistic eyewear fail the UK tests; do you know which is which is which? Thought not.

While the system is unlikely to turn its back on you if your are blinded because of a desire to look cool rather than wear tested and proven kit there must be a certain morale responsibility to wear what you know works instead of what you reading from marketing blurb.

If Commanders are 'too busy' to care about the standard of protection, and therefore survivability, of their soldiers perhaps they do not desire to command?
The US have a system of red and green labelling on eyewear products for sale in BX/PX. The principle being that if it has green on it you can wear it for the day job, if not then you can't!

Recently there was dispensation given for people to buy and wear US "green" eye protection, but under special conditions, which have probably now expired. In that case the unit CO identified a shortcoming of the issue specs, and staffed the issue correctly.

Just followed kitmonster's advice on page 1 and my inserts have arrived.

It is interesting that I have come across two different processes. My garrison QM issued me the insert frames without a twitch, and when I took them to my med centre they knew exactly what to do with them. It all took less than 2 hours over the past two weeks.

The other route I have come across is by way of third party info of the process in use at RTMC. RTMC won't issue you the RX Vice Kit but will forward the inserts to you in theatre. I suspect that early engagement with RTMC may assist you in being able to pick them up in time to do your range day!

As an aged on-looker, it is good to read this thread and compare it against the (stories)(facts) about issued kit. If supply of these items really is out of the usual range for stuff - why? Why cannot same procurement and supply means be used for everything?
Please don't all shout at once. I scare easy.

i got issued x 2 of the inserts without prescription from the qm's aswell

went down to local opticians who then sent them away along with prescription

still waiting for them to come back

im on pre tour leave at the moment.... hope they come back by the time i deploy :?

JediGeek said:
I had exactly this problem with a set of shooting glasses, Great if I wear them as "Pince Nez" (on their tod), but the are bloody useles as soon as I put them into the glasses.
I have had it suggested that to go in to the optician with the whole kit and caboodle and get him to test you when you are wearing them.
This MIGHT be able to determine if you can get them a bit weaker/stronger to compensate for this. Or maybe there is nothing that can be done.
I have not had a chance to try this myself yet, but will when I get home.
Hope this helps.
Best of luck

On another note.

I am freelance on the oilfield offshore in the middle east and the "Company" safety specs are gopping, Slide around, fall off etc, an abslute swine to try and get adjusted.
I have been looking at the ESS stuff and am trying to get hold of the inserts for them, Anyone know where I can get these in Civvy street? (May be overkill, but I only have one set of eyeballs.)
Or anyone you know who is coming home and out who has got some to flog.
Any help would be appreciated, If you could PM me I would be grateful.
Cheers.

Kitmonster

What's the form with corrective lenses for those deploying under CONDO? I'm told that we'll get ballistic protective eyewear at Chilwell (along with body armour etc.)., but no-one seems to have an answer about the mechanism for getting the prescription inserts.

receieved my inserts, i received X 2 of them

only thought you were supposed to receive 1 so happy days

i had the optician send both sets off with the dummy lenses and hey presto they both cam back with prescription lenses :D

The problem with these specs are that the refraction takes place in a normal optician using a standard distance from the front of the eye. The trouble with the combat specs is that the clip-ons are too close to the eye and therefore the accommodation of the eye is wrong.

For once in my life I do actually know what I am talking about. I found them very difficult to get used to, on herrick in March / April

yeah the optician was telling me about this

said people suffer from headaches/sickness etc from wearing them!!

did you get used to them in the end??

Latest Threads