Operational de-compression Canadian Style

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Herrumph, Sep 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just seen an article in a Cyprus magazine about the decompression that the Canadians lay on for their troops coming out of Afghanistan. I don't have a link but to summarise:

2,000 Canadian troops are passing through Cyprus for decompression. They stay in a quality hotel in Pahos for 5 days. They are administered for a day, they get assessed and given counselling for 2 days, a report is sent to their medical authorities if appropriate. The rest of the time is free time or on organised activities. Not surprisingly, the decompression is welcomed by both the troops and the chain of command. Troops are leaving happier, better adjusted and with many potential problems identified early.

Compare this to the UK system. The last I heard, decompression is less than 24 hours, being bounced from Akrotiri to transit accommodation, to token activities, quick BBQ and back to airport.

Covenant - what covenant?
  2. SSDD

Same Shit Different Day.

It was ever thus.
  3. Why waste money on the troops when it can be better utilised on people who do nothing usefull for the UK?

EDIT: Yes, I am bitter and twisted.
  4. The Canadians have always looked after their blokes. I knew of a Major on attachment to a Cannuck outfit whose Cpl Dvr was paid more than him. Funnily enough during WW1 our boys called the Canadians "Fcuking Five Bobbers" because they got paid 3 times as much as the average Tommy. Good lads though!
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Some rather enlightened British commanders in the field have been getting the lads together at regular intervals to sit down and go through recent events amongst their fighting peers. This is also having a positive effect whilst in the thick of it. It was done at CIMIC House by the PWRR Commander, and I think other units are copying the idea.
  6. After TELIC1 and before we returnd home, we got all our guys in C Sqn who had fought with 3 Cdo Bde together for a huge battlefield tour. We visited all the locations where contact took place and chatted the whole thing through as a large group of laughing friendly comrades in arms. It worked a treat and i'm pretty sure, although not party to facts, that we have no serious cases of PTSD in C Sqn.
  7. msr

msr LE

Do you mean this sort of thing: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/PeopleInDefence/PadreKeepsSoldiersInTrimInAfghanistan.htm

8. Canada has a very small army though and when I was with them they where badly equiped. The Cannucks on Golesh mountain where wearing olive green uniforms and envious of our camouflage kit. OTOH, they was fed very well and got to eat lobster while we had sausage butties. Swings and roundabouts?

Anyway, the Canadians did have good lads in their army. The Hungarians where also good lads with an atitude to life that was reminiscent of the British army circa 1970's.
  9. My Wife's cousin is a reservist due to do an op tour. After he completes it he gets two flight tickets to anywhere in the world paid for him.
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

This government are tight with the money and think they can get away with it. They can to a point but wait until the first mass murder by some poor sod with PTSD because he wasn't treated, then you can dig this up and clearly blame the lack of any serous care for our troops squarely where it lies, the government..
  11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

After GW1 (The popular war in the Gulf) we got two for one holidays all you had to do was to get the unit to stamp your forms to say you had been away
    We also IIRC got tickets from the Gym for the FA cup semi - final Arsenal v Spurs
    Not much but it's a start
  12. _If_ we are doing a bad job of decompression (and I have no idea whether we are or not) then I would be quicker to point the finger at the Army's chain of command than the government.

Running this sort of thing is a leadership responsibility and the responsibility of CoC. Yes there are budget issues across the Army but failure to insist that budget/time is spent where needed is a failer of leadership.
  13. as someone once remarked.....Sympathy lies twixt shit and syphillis in the dictionary.....and that alas is and has been for the last 30+ years the attitude the Government to its armed forces. It was one of the contributary reasons I left HM. Eventually and inevitably at some point in time you do have to look after numero uno.
  14. But that won't happen, it will just be put down as the actions of "one deranged individual", and the spin doctors will leap int place with their (probabaly already prepared) cover plan.
  15. Having been involved in this issue a little while ago, I think we are now getting the hang of it, have relearned what we had forgotten. I do agree, however, that this is a CoC issue and not something (for a change) to land at Broon's door.