Operational allowance to be doubled

Had a quick look on here and was very suprised to see this has not been done on here as yet... unless I have missed something 8O

linky

I've seen in mentioned somewhere, they were pushing it through as one of their campaign promises. RUMINT has it that it won't be paid out this year though? Obviously, would be chuffed if it was backdated though.

A very short term approach.

What happens if Fox calls a halt and takes UK troops out of AFG? Back to basic pay.

Don't you think the troops deserve the same wage as a copper?

Backdated or not, it is very welcome and not before time.

Whet said:

What happens if Fox calls a halt and takes UK troops out of AFG? Back to basic pay.

If UK troops are out of Afghan then an Operational Allowance won't be needed. A short term approach works for me.

Whet said:

Whet, you seem to have missed the point. This is focused at those actually on operations. Basic pay for all is an entirely different argument.

Tango said:
Whet said:

If UK troops are out of Afghan then an Operational Allowance won't be needed. A short term approach works for me.
But they will be on, for instance, just over £15000 for coming out of the box? Is that good enough?

Why do the services have to put up with a greater enbuggerance than the police but get circa £4000 less?

Blokeonabike said:
Whet said:

Whet, you seem to have missed the point. This is focused at those actually on operations. Basic pay for all is an entirely different argument.
No it isn't.

The government had a choice, given the policies held by their two parts - double operational pay or bring salaries up to a living level.

I think they chose the wrong policy.

Whet said:
But they will be on, for instance, just over £15000 for coming out of the box? Is that good enough?

Why do the services have to put up with a greater enbuggerance than the police but get circa £4000 less?
Whet, as per my last, no it is not good enough but it is a completely different issue.

Whet said:
Tango said:
Whet said:

Because the Forces get fed & housed at a subsidised rate, Plod & the rest of the emergency services have to find their own food & accommodation in the market.

Surely as an ex-Serviceman you should know this.

Whet, theer are a lot (the majority) of the Army NOT currently on operations. On average, a given soldier SHOULD spend 6 moths on ops and 2 years in between. So most ARE on the basic pay without the op bonus.

The choice was not and is not one or the other. There are four choices, one, the other, both or none.

I agree with the good captain, T and C are totally different so there for the pay is aswell,

CaptainPlume said:
Because the Forces get fed & housed at a subsidised rate, Plod & the rest of the emergency services have to find their own food & accommodation in the market.

Not really. Have you experienced PAYD and service accomodation recently? It hardly represents excellent value for money. I have been accomodating and feeding myself at market rates for some years now.

What is the current rate of doing a tour - 18 months between them?

So, instead of receiving (as a new soldier) £8000 over the period he will get £4760.

Is it fairer to give them the former, or the latter?

CaptainPlume said:
Whet said:
Tango said:
Whet said:

Food off duty, indeed - but don't police forces have subsidised, rented accomodation for their constables.

And what is the police housing allowance now?

Blokeonabike said:
CaptainPlume said:

Not really. Have you experienced PAYD and service accomodation recently? It hardly represents excellent value for money. I have been accomodating and feeding myself at market rates for some years now.
OK, fair one, I left just as PAYD was brought in across the board & it hadn't hit my mess. I was also fortunate to have a very comfortable room in the Mess, although did suffer the problems related to asbestos removal, shoddy repairs & a long period when the kitchen was out of commission so we had to go to the far side of camp (hardship ;) )

However I stick by my point. It has always been accepted that Service personnel are paid a little less to recognise their access to subsidised food, accommodaton, medical,dental, sporting and AT facilities. That these things are being eroded is wrong & should be campaigned against.

Do I think Soldiers deserve more money? Jolly right which is why I always pushed to get mine through training & courses which would upgrade them & thus their pay & where appropriate for them to get pay for work of an unpleasant nature/pay for work in unpleasant conditions.

I think it serves no purpose to compare the Emergency Services & the Armed Forces as the only real thing we really have in common is wearing a Uniform.

Whet said:

Where did you get the figure £15,000 from?

Basic pay for OR2 in year 1 is £17k.

Joe_Private said:
Whet said:

Where did you get the figure £15,000 from?

Basic pay for OR2 in year 1 is £17k.
Because that is what I was told on here last year.

However, I have just checked the police rates and 'on commencing service' (is that probationer) they receive £22,680.

So, possibly £5000 difference.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cormack Army Pay, Claims & JPA 13
Bravo_Bravo Army Reserve 10
O Army Pay, Claims & JPA 3