Operation Tiger Memorial Service

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Fireplace, Apr 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. IIRC the E boats came across the convoy purely by chance and didn´t know what they´d found.

2. There was at least one 'BIGOT' on one of the ships. They spent ages searching for him wondering if the boxheads had lifted him.

3. phil245

phil245 LE Book Reviewer

I was there for this years 70th anniversary, there was quite a large turn out of military vehicles from the time, some of which took part in the D Day landings. There were three survivors from Exercise Tiger. On Sunday, there was a service and wreath laying. When I get the time, I will upload some picture of the tank and the memorials. The story behind the tank is that during exercises the tank which is a double duplex tank I.E a swimming tank, was offloaded from a landing craft about a quarter of a mile off the beach, for it to swim ashore. The tank sank in sixty feet of water, the crew swam to safety. After the war, a man called Ken Small brought a B&B in Slapton, Local fishermen were complaining about their nets snagging on something at this one point. The local scuba diving club investigated and found the tank, by this time Ken Small had heard the story of Exercise Tiger and decided to raise the tank as a memorial to the American soldiers who died during training for D Day. He contacted the American authorities about the tank, after a lot of communication between the Americans and Ken Small, The Americans sold him the tank for $50. ken got the tank raised, the RN had to check the tank to make sure that it did not contain any ammunition or bodies. The tank was placed on a raised area just of the beach. The tank is preserved with a thick coating of a bituminous substance to stop it from rusting away. The propellers have been removed, but you can still see where they were attached. Ken investigated and managed to find the crew who were driving the tank when it sank. He visited them in America, and invited them to the dedication service. He also told them why the tank had sunk, one of the drive plates had not been replaced. For more information I suggest that you read a book called " The Forgotten Dead " By Ken Small, Or " The Magic Army " By Leslie Thomas.

4. So what if they were?

5. phil245

phil245 LE Book Reviewer

The E boats were sent to investigate the increase in radio signals, the destroyers that were supposed to protect the convoy were late in leaving port and didn't catch up with the convoy until after the E boats attack.

Ches. There were 3 " BIGOTS" on board when the E Boats attacked, All three were found among the dead. The name BIGOT was the code name given to high ranking officers who were privy to the D Day landing schedule. The word BIGOT was just the phrase " TO GIB " , short for To Gibraltar. Reversed

• Like Like x 1