Operation Snakebite

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by blueygirl, May 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just been sent this by email. I haven't read the book, but it seems a good way to raise funds for Combat Stress

Please see below for an opportunity to help raise funds for Combat Stress and to get a fascinating book about operations in Helmand at a good discount.

This charitable promotion is being administered by the online retailers, Amazon

UK: any purchase of Operation Snakebite on Amazon between May 5 and May 10th,

inclusive, will automatically generate a £2 payment per book to Combat Stress.

Amazon are currently offering the book at a much reduced discount from the RRP.

Details of the book can be viewed at:

2. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Bought mine this Morning, should be a good read
  3. just purchased the collectible edition.

Seen good reviews elsewhere on here.
  4. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

It would be good to read something from Afghan that is not simply...

A first person account of derring-do;
    Special forces 'faction'
    Uncritical unit biographies

...but is multi-sourced and offers thoughful and informed analysis.

However, having purchased books by Christian Jennings and Damien Lewis that are marketed as per the above, only to find them to be, basically, novels, I am more careful in on-line buying.

Any reviews, opinions of this book would be appreciated.
  5. Don't tend to read this type of book but was involved in the operation so gave it a go. It was an easy read for me being able to relate to the majority of the incidents which he wrote about.

The author, Stephen Grey, was an embedded journo for the majority of the OP who spent time with nearly all of the individual formations involved so it is really his first hand experiences of what went on. He was invovled in the mine strike which killed Sgt Johnson (RiP mate) and witnessed all the difficulties which faced the troops once to town was re-taken.

In my opinion it should be a must read for anyone deploying on Herrick.
  6. Sorry to have missed the (short!) donation period, but have ordered the book nevertheless.

Met Gundulph last week (co-author of Pull Up a Sandbag - the last book I bought) and he had negotiated a deal with his publisher for donation of £1 from the sale of every copy to go to Help for Heroes. (see "sticky" thread in Books and Other Literature).

Good to get the reading recommendations, and satisfying to feel that worthy causes benefit.
  7. Very definitely a must read book for anyone going to Afghanistan or interested in the issues, certainly a must read for any ARRSE reader/poster. Unlike the review below, it doesnt take a stance just puts the facts down and it has something like 200 interviews from everyone from the bottom to the top.