Operation Persian Freedom draws closer...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AndyPipkin, Dec 31, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At least the blokes will already be used to the weather.

Sparky

2. Maybe bit of bluff to calm down the Israeli DF? "Don't you rush in where angels etc. We'll do it for you"

3. If you honestly think that what happened at Osirak won't happen again then you are sadly naive. Stand by for fast movers from IDF, across "friendly" air corridor of Iraq.

4. They should lets ther Jews crack on. Then we can follow up last minute. Take the glory then pop smoke back to Iraq

5. UPI story made reference to "NATO planners'" anonymous disclosures to Der Spiegel.

The Spiegel story in English translation here: http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,392783,00.html

It's stated that one of the sources of this story is a German journalist, Udo Ulfkotte, supposedly with a pipeline into the German secret intelligence service.

Ulfkotte allegedly "in his previous reporting got too close to sources at Germany's foreign intelligence agency, the BND. But Ulfkotte has himself noted that he has been under investigation by the government in the past (indeed, his home and offices have been searched multiple times) for allegations that he published state secrets -- a charge that he claims would underscore rather than undermine the veracity of his work.

Also, "the governments of Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Oman and Pakistan have been informed in recent weeks of Washington's military plans. The countries, apparently, were told that air strikes were a 'possible option,' but they were given no specific timeframe for the operations."

"The German wire service [DDP] also quotes a high-ranking German military official saying: 'I would be very surprised if the Americans, in the mid-term, didn't take advantage of the opportunity delivered by Tehran. The Americans have to attack Iran before the country can develop nuclear weapons. After that would be too late.'"

6. The Turks would have to get something big in return to persuade them to play, after their failure to support an invasion of northern Iraq. Perhaps some sanctioned Kurd-bashing and the possibility of EU membership...

Why not launch such strikes from a carrier, or from the large military garrison next door to the west? Not very PC perhaps!

7. US Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tennessee):

Although we should continue IAEA talks with Iran -- a process that has given us insights into its nuclear program -- we need to explore other measures. In particular, we should ask allies who trade with Iran to join a sanctions campaign against Tehran.

If we let Tehran develop nuclear weapons covertly while IAEA negotiations slog forward, Iran's theocrats will have little reason to negotiate with anyone. The United States needs to act before a regime that has denied the real Holocaust unleashes another.

"Bill Frist: Act now to thwart Iran's nuclear threat" 30 December 2005
    http://www.startribune.com/562/story/153481.html

8. I have been reading a lot of assements recently of the new Iranian President, the most telling of which is that he almost identical in world veiwpoint / religious belief / motivation to George W, he too has packed his immediate circle with idealogues. This could be quite a showdown especialy as both parties show a reckless unpredictability

9. Can of instant sunshine anyone?

10. What will be the casus belli then?

Iran hasnt invaded or attacked another country.

In any case I think Iran will compromise (while enriching uranium in secret).

All they have to do is STFU for a while.

11. Problem solved! And you wonder why they don't allow you to run the world, right? :D :D :D :D :D

Happy New Fücking Year!

MsG

12. Bugsy WTF are you talking about?

"You don't know what irony is, do you Baldrick ?"

"Yes I do, It's like Steely or coppery, only made out of iron."

And where the fcuk do you think I come from?

13. What happens when the Air strikes kick off? Are the Iranian Army/navy going to sit quietly at home or are they going to "slot me some infidels!" Considering the profusion of targets in the area.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the nuts, if the US air strikes go in, and Some Iranian missile boat makes a hole in a shiny US Frigate...?