Operation Pale Horse - Indo China 1967

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Goatman, Oct 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

I have opened this as a separate thread because I'm quite intrigued by the specific 'Black Op' referred to and I'd like to add some info to the Wikipedia stub.

I am also conscious that, apart from 49 Para Walts, there may well be US and ANZAC pers in this forum who actually served in SE Asia.

Pale Horse was a precursor to the much exposed Phoenix programme of targeted assassination. It was allegedly undertaken by Green beret/SEAL teams working with indigenous tribals

The files on Pale Horse are, apparentely still classified (more than thirty years after Saigon fell) - I really can't be arrsed to get my tin foil hat on to ask why.

But the relevance today is that there is a theory doing the rounds that USFOR in Iraq are raking back over the evidence on both Op Pale Horse and Phoenix to see if there are lessons to be re-learned.

Indeed, the hysterical supposition is that much of the tit-for-tat killing going on there is actually a new Op Pale Horse......

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has info on Pale Horse BEYOND the dead-end Wikipedia entry.

BTW, all this spook stuff almost obliges one to don the tin-hat....be aware that a recent bio-hazard Civ defense exercise in the US was ALSO designated

Op Pale Horse...........coincidence?

[Cue X Files theme.....]

Lee Shaver
  2. There used to be a tinfoil bunny conspiracy theory about MS Windows that involved this phrase. Apparently a specific combination of keystrokes during the boot brought up a picture of a...pale horse! Which was supposedly teh backdoor that relayed all your data to the aliens/freemasons/Jews/CIA/Illuminati/Trilateral Commission/ZOG/enter your mental illness here.

Two alternative debunks were either that it was a myth, or else that it was a programmer joke, an easter egg as they say.
  3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

so? seems to be a popular name for various Ops...referring back(obviously) to Revelations 6:8 :

" And I looked and beheld a pale horse;and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him...."

Operation Pale Horse was the origin of the Phoenix programme - neither was particularly amusing....

Programmers.....what a bunch of jolly japers they are.....now, anyone know anything about Pale Horse in 1967 please ?

I would imagine there is some kind of official archivist at Bragg - given that it was such along time ago, has anything been published ?

Appreciate any leads ( apart from to Festung Microsoft, Marin County !)

Le Chevre
  4. Goatman, have you tried the US Army Military Institute, Carlisle Barracks , Pennsylvania? I`m poor at this computer stuff, but I`ll try to post a link.......www.carlisle.army.mil/usamhi/ You can probably find links there to other official sites, there is a whole military history beauracracy with each of the services maintaining a historical branch and there is a lot of duplication and crossover . I found a lot of info there concerning my old unit in VN, but it was a regular unit and not involved in those type operations, which I suspect are going to be really hard to trace, even if they`re in the public records,the records don`t seem to be catalogued very well and because of the sheer volume of them. Sorry I cant help more, but I`ll lookout for more info. Incidently, a very useful book I`ve found is "Dirty Little Secrets of the Vietnam War" ,James F. Dunnigan and Albert A. Nofi ISBN 0-312-19857-4 I`ll also see if I can find some Australian sources.
  5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Thanks Spruce - very helpul post. I'll Google for the book.....keep it coming folks !

6. The best book on the Phoenix Program is called "Phoenix and the Birds of Prey" by Mark Moyar. He mentions a program called ICEX (Intelligence Coordination and Exploitation) which was a predecessor to Phoenix. After September 11th, a lot of the relevant documents from the Vietnam era were reclassified.