Operation Motorman 1972

Discussion in 'Northern Ireland (Op BANNER)' started by Vinny, Feb 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently working on a documentary about the above for UTV (the regional ITV station here)

We are trying to get it ready for the 40th anniversary in July of this year

If anybody on here wants to contribute and/ or has any photos of the time can they please contact me via this forum or email me asap on *info@northlandbroadcast.net* (without the *)

Thanks for now

Vinny Cunningham
  2. UTV eh? Well, we all know how impartial this programme's gonna be.

3. it was a cold wet night..........
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I remember it well, after 40 years my memory is still as sharp as anything.

Yes Matron, I know I agreed to stop telling fibs and yes I will take my medicine now!

I do remember helping to set up a casualty board though as it was considered that PIRA might just fight back. Thankfully they did not and the board was not needed.
  5. All Hail tropper, he invented motorman he did.
  6. I remember seeing an Ulsterbus trying to take the piss out of a Cent.....no contest.
    Scratch 1x Ulsterbus, 1x Commer Tipper, 22x Fridges and a shed load of paving slabs.

We should have been allowed to paint slogans on the Cents....
    'The Duncairn Gardens Dozer' or 'The Flax Street Flattener'

It would have added a little spice into our humdrum lives and taken our minds off not
    having enough fcuking Medals.

Shifty, The Short Strand Shagger.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. All you need to know is that they started firing first, especially the chap up the tree. I heard the machine gun fire myself.
  8. I missed you didn't I, Petal, by the way, where was this 'ere tree?
  9. According to Chalky, Seamus had an armalite on auto. Must be true I heard it in Gough barracks NAAFI.
  10. Were they fridges, pirate, repelling, SF, for the use of?
  11. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

ask the same question on the 26armoured engineers facebook site , for it was they who took tanks into Belfast allbeit sans any ammunition of any type .
    the roumer at the time was that customs and exercise spent two whole days searching the avres for duty fee booze an fags . Dont know if that was true coz i was in 31 AES at the time .
  12. When you re-enact the inevitable massacre scenes featuring British soldiers , can you at least try to get the extras to shrink their berets and stuff balled up newspaper in their webbing ? It just adds to the realism .
    The other thing others always get wrong is the blokes playing soldiers are far too old , the average tom is about 19 , not 35.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sell you a nice badge
    • Like Like x 1
  14. So 40 years later it all just becomes a piece of TV junk so that you creatures can flog air-time to personal injury lawyers, go-compare and boots. (You're welcome BTW)
  15. It'll be another UTV republican grief-whorefest, probably to be aired after "UTV Live & Gaelic Football at 6"
    • Like Like x 1