Operation Medusa “We are not doing f***ing peacekeeping

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Sep 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This should go into the 'All new Afghan fighting' thread and probably will but its by a freind of the forces and everyone should have a quick glance.

Amid the thud of artillery, soldiers stormed into a Taleban stronghold
    By Tim Albone
    Our correspondent reports from the front line where Canadians have been facing fierce resistance

EXPLOSIONS rocked the ground and shook the mudwalled compounds of Pashmul yesterday as Canadian troops penetrated deep into territory that for months has been in the grip of Taleban insurgents.

Dawn on the twelfth day of Operation Medusa, Nato’s largest offensive in Afghanistan, was broken by the thud of artillery and the sound of Apache helicopters going into battle.

Throughout the day soldiers on foot combed the area for rebels. Heavy gates to walled compounds were blown open, a warren of Taleban tunnels and bunkers were destroyed by explosives and grenades were thrown into wells and fired through doors.

At times the ground shook and the noise was overpowering. “We are not doing f***ing peacekeeping operations here, we are doing combat operations,” Lieutenant-Colonel Omer H. Lavoie, 40, the commanding officer of the Canadian forces, told The Times, the only British paper to visit the frontline during the fiercest battle since the Taleban was overthrown five years ago.

Finally, after almost two weeks of aerial assaults and a barrage of heavy artillery, his troops seemed to be making progress. But it is gruelling, dangerous work. At least 20 Nato troops have been killed in the battle, and as of Tuesday, Nato claimed to be in control of only 65 per cent of the Panjawyi area, which includes the villages of Pashmul.

Captain Max Shields, 27, with the 22nd Regiment, said: “It is outstanding terrain to defend. There is very heavy vegetation, ditches, canals and mud buildings.”

The fields, which provide the Taleban with a ready supply of melons 8O , pomegranate and marijuana, also provide ideal cover. The marijuana bushes grow up to six feet high and provide ideal camouflage. To make matters worse the mud-walled compounds are impenetrable to bullets; only bombs dropped from the air can penetrate them.

During Operation Medusa, despite the high body count, many Taleban have got away and it is feared that they could be heading to Helmand province, where more than 4,000 British troops are based.

During the Soviet invasion the area of Pashmul was never conquered, despite the the Russians pouring thousands of troops, from some of their best regiments, into the area surrounding Pashmul. “This is an eye-opener,” said Captain Jordan Schaub, 26, the second in command of Alpha company, PPCLI. “You train for this but we didn’t expect such a tempo. Seeing is believing.”

Corporal Miguel Dulac, 22, said: “I speak to a lot of American soldiers and they say this is worse than Iraq. Here they stay and fight.”

Article in full

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2356878_2,00.html

Good work Tim Albone

2. 4,000

Yes but a modern rifle man has 4 times the fire power of one during the second world war. so that should actually be 16,000 troops in real terms!

3. Steady on, your feeding New Liebours spin machine there - we'll be seeing that line coming out the MOD before nightfall friday.

And lets not forget that what multiplies the firepower of Tommy Atkins does the same for Johnny Afghan - AK's and RPG's are a potent combination.

4. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

6 foot marijuana bushes? hmm, i suggest the tactic of burning them out! Set fire to the vegetation and watch the taleban shoot each other or attempt to fly away from the scary purple dragons....

5. The Taleban know the area, have the advantage of use of the terrain for ambushes, have the advantage of no rules of engagement, many of them are on their home turf and have the reputation of being tough fighters.

Yet still we continue to kill them in large numbers.

If they are tough... what does that make our lads and allies out their?

One can only admire them and feel humbled.

6. Is it just me or is this sudden use of the body count statistics sort of worrying?

7. 'Its not just you Steven' says Armchair placing another severed head on a stake.

8. Body counts are a necessary evil, how else are troops expected to win any wager for the most confirmed kills if they ain't counting.

Besides which, killing Taleban is doing Gods work and should be applauded.

9. You had your abacus out to work that out? You must be a Civil Servant!

10. Nah. They'll just get the munchies and attack the melons and pomegranates :)

11. Now if only the modern rifleman can be in 4 places at the same time Pillager would have resolved all the overstretch problems of the army.

12. "Dude, there's like, infidels, over there..."

"Pass the mars bars. Allah Akbhar"

13. I was being cynical.

I appreciate the fact you dont get three spare blokes with every rifle makes things more difficult.

14. Actually it would be more like

Terry Taleban: "f*ck man, is your rifle really really heavy or is it just me"

Tommy Taleban: "F*ck yeh, my arms are sooo heavy I can't lift them up. I feel really really hungry- I could eat. . . like 15 bags of crisps"

Terry Taleban: "f*ck this fightin, let's just look at the sky cos it's sooo pretty"

15. Yet again it is the English speaking nations (plus the Dutch) doing all of the hard fighting. The Canadians appear to be doing quite well on Op Medusa, thats if whats being put in the media is accurate. I'm pleased to see that the Poles are going to come on board next year.