Operation Market Garden......Mission Impossible?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Clearly the beginning and end of his talents as a leader in the rank of 3-Star General in the greatest conflict the world has yet known.

Well Done Him :roll:
Yes, we all know you don't like Browning. Can we move on please?

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Jim Hooper is very ill at the moment.

Choux Bun

Clanker
I tried everything legal. Passing Cloud was an old Irish favourite I think. Never came across your brand though. Sobranie were ok, but became quite common. Probably the best femembered was on the third week of that massive exercise we used to do in Germany - pipe tobacco rolled in army issue bog paper!
I have never been a smoker, but was advised to carry a couple of packs (bright orange boxes) of Du Maurier when patrolling on the Inner German Border. The Russian/East Germnan guards loved them and I obtained a set of KGB collar dogs and a VolksArme belt buckle for just one pack - 20 cigs cost peanuts in the NAAFI!!

I have never been a smoker, but was advised to carry a couple of packs (bright orange boxes) of Du Maurier when patrolling on the Inner German Border. The Russian/East Germnan guards loved them and I obtained a set of KGB collar dogs and a VolksArme belt buckle for just one pack - 20 cigs cost peanuts in the NAAFI!!

Which proves that squaddies are just squaddies the world over no matter what uniform they wear.

Chef

LE
'Theirs is the glory' (1946) is on Talking Pictures, Freeview 81 at 3:20pm today. A good film on the subject.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
'Theirs is the glory' (1946) is on Talking Pictures, Freeview 81 at 3:20pm today. A good film on the subject.
Thank you, just put on to record!

Chef

LE
Thank you, just put on to record!
Talking Pictures has some good films on. Theirs is the glory seems to pop up from time to time. Worth looking at the week ahead in the week end mags.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Talking Pictures has some good films on. Theirs is the glory seems to pop up from time to time. Worth looking at the week ahead in the week end mags.
Yes indeed, I recorded The Guns at Batasi before Xmas on the Channel IIRC.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
A JR in the Sgts' Mess? Did nobody think to put him behind the bar?
Well they stuck him on stag outside on the veranda and he still managed to bang the dolly; imagine the chaos if he'd been allowed in the bar!

It is - but I can't help thinking a significant proportion of the Officers were taking the pi$$ with the dial set to '11' when they 're-enacted' their own parts in the fight. ^~

Chef

LE
It is - but I can't help thinking a significant proportion of the Officers were taking the pi$$ with the dial set to '11' when they 're-enacted' their own parts in the fight. ^~
I'm not surprised at all. I believe a number of them had been at the rehearsal for the film in September 44. :)

a number of them had been at the rehearsal
Not just 'a number of them'. There's not a single actor in that movie.

All of the people you see in the film were involved in the battle, re-enacting events in which they were involved during the battle.

The movie was filmed in Arnhem/Oosterbeek.​
All events portrayed in the movie were filmed at the places where they took place in 1944, and the filming took place while the battle was still very, very fresh in the hearts and minds of 'The Cast of Players'.​
It deserves to be watched attentively, but very thoughtfully, in any number of ways.