Operation Market Garden......Mission Impossible?

A new book may be of interest to some : "A Bloody Week - The Irish At Arnhem'" by Nick Harvey pub. Merrion Press.

My investigations led me to discover a large number of Irishmen among the British Paratroopers of the 6th Airborne Division who jumped behind the enemy lines on the eastern flank of the invasion bridgehead.
Is this really such a surprise?

I pin the blame purely on browning and Montgomery

General Gavin didn't secure the bridge as his first task and went for the goesbeek heights instead. The more I read into it the more it makes sense that this had to happen. They were attacked from their at one point.
Jim Gavin, under influence of Browning looking over his shoulder believed that 1000 German tanks might come rolling out of the Reichswald and obliterate the 82nd. Thus, he concentrated on the heights, leading to the legendary, but in the grand scheme of things unecessary attack across the Waal river by the 3/504th PIR.

The 82nd should've gone for the bridge as it's primary objective. Perhaps having been through 3 sketchy parachute assaults by September 1944, the leadership of the 82nd had become overly cautious, analogous to the 51st Highland division in the early Normandy campaign

IIRC one individual German soldier was responsible for most of the Allied losses at Omaha because he was the MG42 gunner who the prep bombardment missed. I think he just kept going until he ran out of ammo and then surrendered.
Killed some 1200, IIRC. Fired all his MG ammunition, then picked up his K98 and fired until the ammunition for that ran out.
Saw him in some documentary few years ago; I couldn't fathom how he could live with himself, having dealt out so much pointless slaughter for a vile cause.

43 Div crossed the D+90 line (the Seine) about D+90. Then the Great Swan. As Monty is supposed to have said after The Bulge, If Hitler had had Cromwells, he might have reached Antwerp. If XXX Corps had had Tigers, they probably wouldn't. "
Yes, yes - 'but the Allies didn't get Blitzkrieg results'...

That's the accepted narrative, despite the historical truth, for the love of God, don't bring facts into when we discuss Monty or the British Army in NWE from D-Day onwards.

And if XXX Corps had Tigers they'd still have been stuck outside Bayeux waiting for fuel and spares.

Killed some 1200, IIRC. Fired all his MG ammunition, then picked up his K98 and fired until the ammunition for that ran out.
Saw him in some documentary few years ago; I couldn't fathom how he could live with himself, having dealt out so much pointless slaughter for a vile cause.
How could he live with himself? He was trying to stay alive, there was a war on you know.

Albert Pierrepoint killed 600 plus at extremely close range, being the last person to look each one in the eye before killing them. He died of natural causes. If you look up the execution of Carl Frank they use the hook and line method of execution. The "hangman" has to physically break Frank's neck while looking him in the eye, yet presumably he carried out many more executions. People are different. Some can kill without adverse effects on them. Some can't. This isn't meant as a criticism nor a condemnation of either group.

As a side note, 180,000 American serviceman were killed in the European Theatre of Operations. 0.67% were killed by this one man.

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
Jim Gavin, under influence of Browning looking over his shoulder believed that 1000 German tanks might come rolling out of the Reichswald and obliterate the 82nd. Thus, he concentrated on the heights, leading to the legendary, but in the grand scheme of things unecessary attack across the Waal river by the 3/504th PIR.

The 82nd should've gone for the bridge as it's primary objective. Perhaps having been through 3 sketchy parachute assaults by September 1944, the leadership of the 82nd had become overly cautious, analogous to the 51st Highland division in the early Normandy campaign
Or perhaps they just had more experience, in these sorts of operations. I don’t imagine being overly enthusiastic about Market Garden and the concept behind it. It was a very ambitious plan, with an overly optimistic timeline.

How could he live with himself? He was trying to stay alive, there was a war on you know.
It's not like he could miss, either. The Germans had four years to get ready and had every beach mined, covered by machine guns and cannons, riddled with booby traps and Rommel's Asparagus and range cards readied and they'd had four years training, either as front line soldiers or shooting at the RAF and USAAF. His comrade, Franz Gockel, was in a similar position. A good gun, lots of ammunition, skilled shooter and multiple targets. They could hardly fail.

Latest Threads