Operation Banner financial costs

WRWalsh

Swinger
Hi

I am trying to get details of the financial costs for Operation Banner - anybody here know w possible source

2 bob and a pickled egg.

You could always ask under a FOI request.

Well, it'll probably cost a lot more the next time we have to do it.

Pick a figure, imagine one. Probably as good an answer as is available.

morsk

LE
I understand has been tried but answer was that there was no official tabulated figures
So you though "someone may have kept the receipts" then?

Yeah, well done.

Pick a figure, imagine one. Probably as good an answer as is available.
Pick a figure double it, add 50% and then doubling the total may get you closer to the true cost, it works for every other government expenditure.

Pick a figure double it, add 50% and then doubling the total may get you closer to the true cost, it works for every other government expenditure.
And, if Babcock are involved, add the relevant mark up of 11.3%

The direct costs might be relatively easy to work out but finding all the indirect costs would be another matter.

Probably not all that much (comparatively speaking).

The equipment was low-tech; no tracks, fast jets or warships, not a great deal of ammo expended, and small arms ammo at that. Cougar radio system can't have been hugely expensive as it was COTS. 20 or 30 helicopters would have been a little expensive. I imagine the biggest cost was in providing the bases and salary costs.

morsk

LE
Thought MODcs would require such
What is a MODcs and why would they require 'it'?

You have been told no officially. What more do you want?

morsk

LE

The equipment was low-tech; no tracks, fast jets or warships, not a great deal of ammo expended, and small arms ammo at that. Cougar radio system can't have been hugely expensive as it was COTS. 20 or 30 helicopters would have been a little expensive. I imagine the biggest cost was in providing the bases and salary costs.
Offset against the Grey economy and compo claims though? Wages, NI pay, Q cars.....

The direct costs might be relatively easy to work out but finding all the indirect costs would be another matter.
True, indirect minus direct costs minus what the MOD would have paid the Army anyway if the they had stayed in their home Garrison, I can imagine it would be extremely difficult to get an exact figure.

The helicopters already existed, but needed odd bits and bobs added over the years, Finch, abseiling gibbet etc. A bit of money went into the noise-cancelling kit on one particular airframe, and we flogged WX to death, etc....

3600+/- civilians killed. 722 soldiers killed. Funeral costs at about £3000, appx +/- = £ 1,101,600.
Factor in 38 years pay for up to 21,000 troops at any one time, over the course of "The Troubles" about 300,000 soldiers served their + air support, covert operations, transport munitions food and all logistic support. Many billions, total amount will never be known, and if it is, it will be subject to the OSA.

Just a random guess..............................

I agree with that but add all of the extra vehicles, bedding, Portacabins, NI gloves, R&R flights, building extra base security, shipping the millions(?) of tons of supplies, (All that Tennants Lager didn't come cheap ya know) and all of the thouands of other unkown items that constitute an overeas op it probably ran in to the billions.

Edit: Salary costs wouldn't count, that would have been paid wherever they are based.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
But they saved the LOA we lost on the first tour in 1970 when flown from Germany.

Incidentally, (not worth posting a new thread) does anyone know whether there is a list of the who, where, when, individual units were posted to NI?

I've done google without any luck.

Latest Threads