Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Operation BACKFIRE - British test launches of the A4 (V2)

D

Deleted 60082

Was it the V1 or the V2 that had it's efficiency compromised by the Intelligence bods publicly putting the actual damage in London down to gas leaks, whilst reporting publicly that the things had impacted north of London. This led to the Hun adjusting his range southwards, so that in fact they began splattering over unoccupied bits of Kentish farmland.

I don't know who thought of it, but it was brilliant.

Makes you proud to be British etc. etc.
Both were.
Were any V2/A4 rockets fired from launch sites in the UK? Was it ever planned to do so? Or maybe from a ship?

Did it influence any of Britain's Cold War projects?
Not as far as I know, although engines were run up. Certainly, there was a reference I saw in the official report stating a launch from an aircraft carrier. Now that would be perilous!

Von Braun did toy with the ideal of launching them, towed behind a U boat in a container that would flood and the allow the rocket launched vertically - but by watching the pre-launch procedures on land - imagine carrying those out on a ship or a submarine.

Yokel

LE
The Americans launched one from USS Midway in 1947, although I am not sure why. Midway survived and was still in service in the Gulf in 1991.

D

Deleted 60082

Did it influence any of Britain's Cold War projects?
An engineer who worked at the Oberammergau Messerschmidt Research Facility, designing variable geometry wings for the P1110, came to Britain and became the chief wing designer on the MRCA - in what became the Tornado - and retired in the 1980s.

D

Deleted 60082

I was told that Saddams Scud missiles were basically the V2 design.
Is that true?

Some of the technologies were incorporated in the 'Scud'; the fuel was different (and less volatile). This Wiki article is a reasonable summary of the development of the so-call Scud - really, a family of SRBMs.

Scud - Wikipedia

Some of the technologies were incorporated in the 'Scud'; the fuel was different (and less volatile). This Wiki article is a reasonable summary of the development of the so-call Scud - really, a family of SRBMs.

Scud - Wikipedia
Interesting read, thank you.

Yokel

LE

If the V2 influenced the development of American rockets and missiles, did the launch from Midway influenced the development of Polaris? As I understand it, the reason a submerged submarine was selected as the launch platform was not so much to do with not being tracked easily (Soviet ASW was limited in those days) as it was about not being effect by the motion of the sea surface.

Source: The Silent War by John Pina Craven, former Chief Scientist as the US Navy Special Projects Office.

Yokel

LE
An engineer who worked at the Oberammergau Messerschmidt Research Facility, designing variable geometry wings for the P1110, came to Britain and became the chief wing designer on the MRCA - in what became the Tornado - and retired in the 1980s.

I am surprised the the Americans did not nab him for things like the F-111 and F-14. I am sure I read somewhere that the Martel missile was influenced by wartime German research...

D

Deleted 60082

I am surprised the the Americans did not nab him for things like the F-111 and F-14. I am sure I read somewhere that the Martel missile was influenced by wartime German research...
Under the British-run ‘Operation Surgeon’, over 180 scientists and engineers at other research centres were re-employed to complete monographs on stratospheric aerodynamic performance. A team from the de Havilland Aviation Company was sent by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research to visit ‘to Messerschmitt Co's design and development department in Oberammergau’ between 18-15 June 1945 and a report is retained in the National Archives, in Kew, London.

Another discovery at Oberammergau was the installation of the electrically-driven Mauser MG 213 30mm revolving cannon on a Me-262A-1a designed to deliver a greater weight of fire at a greater rate to compensate for the higher aircraft operating speeds. The end of the war prevented this weapon from being used operationally; however the gun design was adopted post-war in British and French aircraft gun designs, principally in the ADEN cannon.

The post war British Thunderbird surface to air missile was developed from the Messerschmitt Enzian SAM, developed at Schloss Linderhoff and test launched at Peenemunde.

I didn't know where to put this but it may be of interest and is reminiscent of some of the German V2 launch facilities (had they reached operational status).

This facility is in Iran. Video and images from Twitter.

Attachments

• EmAT5_lWMAAvIif.jpeg
    EmAT5_lWMAAvIif.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 13
  • EmATw_PWMAo6J17.jpeg
    EmATw_PWMAo6J17.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Emeub1rVoAAMGdK.jpeg
    Emeub1rVoAAMGdK.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Emeub1qVkAAYLXt.jpeg
    Emeub1qVkAAYLXt.jpeg