Operating System Missing

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Horridlittleman, Jan 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just tried to do a repair of my operating system (Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium) and at some point during the process it restarted; or more to the point it tried to restart because it stopped and gave me the 3 little words I never wanted to hear - Operating System Missing'. Does anyone know WTF I am meant to do? I don't have a recovery disk.

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

3. Try Hiren's Boot cd (Google it). I think it will boot just about any Win OS.

4. Just googled it. However I am a relative techno biff and just see a whole list of freeware - which bit do you recommend? Cheers.

5. Great. Now looking through the list I assume the 1 I'd be interested in is:

HBCDMenu.cmd: Can now be launched from WinPE/Network folder, for Vista/7 use F8 before you start windows and then choose Repair Computer > Command prompt and type D:\HBCDMenu

6. Go to Download Hiren scroll down to near the bottom of the page and you will see a file called Hirens.BootCD.15.1.zip.(498.36mb) I believe that this will contain all you need. I think you just burn it to cd and off you go.

7. Try booting the system and press F8 after POST (the black and white writing from BIOS) If you get a menu you should have an option to recover

8. The only screen I see is the ACER symbol with 'F2 to enter setup' in the bottom left. Pressing F8 doesn't do anything.

9. Well I appreciate the advice. However I gave it all a swift ignoring after I remembered my Truecrypt recovery disk I created months ago. Needless to say it worked and I am now tapping away on my original laptop.