Opera night

I am taking the lady wife to the opera to see Mozart's Magic Flute.

Bizarrely I have only attended the opera in foreign climes. While it is intended as a surprise for her, I suspect it may be a greater surprise being ENO rather than RO!

Anyway, my question is black tie or not? I do take the view one cannot overdress but one can under-dress. It is one of the first performances of Magic Flute and a Thursday night so I took it for granted black tie would be de riguer but talking to muckers it's all terrible lounge suit at best these days. I was thinking a snifter at the club then around to the ENO.

I trust you all recommend, or have witnessed, black tie being fine for such an event.

Phone them and ask?

I have done that. The ENO say "anything is fine, there is no dress code". They are apparently being terribly liberal to garner support from the masses. The reality I suspect is not far behind but one hopes there remains a level of decorous behavior.

M&S chinos and a Sainsbury's trapping shirt it is then.

Seriously, if there is no dress code then suit, bog standard will suffice. Or you could try to see if there are any photos of other performances by the ENO and see how the audience dressed in those.

Last edited:
I have done that. The ENO say "anything is fine, there is no dress code". They are apparently being terribly liberal to garner support from the masses. The reality I suspect is not far behind but one hopes there remains a level of decorous behavior.
Just have a shed load of pimms and go with the flow.

J

JWBenett

Dress code is usually specified; if it's not a gala: relax. Smart white shirt, dark Moss Bros suit type thing, and 'George boots' usually passes. The wife occasionally gets me in to a bow tie on a promise and dinner. Very rarely. Take a rolled up black tie in your pocket for emergencies. We first saw Mozart's Magic Flute in East Berlin's State Opera, pennies, a lot cheaper than you'll be paying ;) Bloody long, but not as boring as some. Good luck.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer

Jacket and tie would be fine, and probably even overkill, for ENO. I've seldom seen anyone turn up in black tie and not everyone even bothers with a jacket. Unfortunately, to make it 'inclusive' there isn't so much as an advisory dress code.

Even Covent Garden doesn't seem to have 100% wearing black tie anymore.

More like turned up jeans and a t-shirt. Oh well, I had hope for tales of standards rather than loucheness. I should have booked a Coldplay concert!

J

JWBenett

Is it not Mess Dress and miniatures

Archie
Na. not if dress code isn't specified. You either love Opera or hate it, but you don't forget your first. Nothing like an Opera orchestra to rattle the balls and jewellery and it doesn't even matter if it's in foreign. Mozart's a good start, or Verdi's Rigoletto singalong with Max stuff. People dress better for weddings these days.

Oddly enough, I went to see a relay of the Met production of Magic Flute about two weeks ago. My immediate impression was that it was in panto style but it was absolutely brilliant and a thoroughly enjoyable evening

Latest Threads