Opening soon in Baghdad: Largest U.S. embassy in the world

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by mac1, Apr 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks like good news... :D you can ignore it!
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Big target......
  3. Plenty of oil.......
  4. Did they ever sort out that little problem of the worlds largest free nations largest embassy being built by abused workers?
  5. Yes, they were chased across the border to Iran wearing sign stating “Kick Me” and “I‘m queg”…. haven’t heard from any since.
  6. Seems costly but having all staff working and living in one location will greatly reduce the costs for the Bureau of Diplomatic Security. IIRC correctly, Iraq is currently a no dependent posting but if dependents are allowed I bet there will be day care/nursery schools in the complex also. I went to grad school with a number of foreign service officers and a couple of BDS special agents. State Dept employees, as a group, are the brightest most capable of gov't employees I know of.

These people deserve a safe place to work and I would rather see my US tax dollars protecting them that going to the midnight basketball leagues for urban youths that Bill Clinton pished money away on.
  7. Why is it the responsibility of the customer and not that of the country and company of the perpetrators. ie: Kuwait?

If my plumber abuses his workers, am I responsible for his actions?
  8. Market forces, though. If you insist on dealing with plumbers who give their workers a fair deal, the bad ones will die out. If you insist on dealing with abusive employers then the abuse will continue.

If you know about the abuse and still use their services then at best that's saying your own convenience is more important to you than the safety and/or well-being of your fellow man. At worst it's condoning it, which doesn't sit well when you're a nation trying to export the ideas of freedom and democracy.
  9. Perhaps you are right in the most politically correct sense, but since when, in the UK, US or anywhere else for that matter has "concern for the plight of the common man" taken the front seat from "the price is right".

There is a joke in the US, more like an inconvenient truth, about minimum wage.

"Minimum wage is an employers way of saying "If I could pay you less, I would, but it's against the law".

I stick by my stance. The US is not responsible how some Kuwaiti company treats it's workers. Kuwait is.

Bitch about them.
  10. Is the US responsible for who it chooses to do business with? Or did the big boy do it and run away?