Opening Day Shooting Season 2007-2008

We started on Saturday, with a nice steady fifty bird bag. Oh and one fox! That'll teach the thieving b'tard!

It was a perfect day - we had three new guns, all who shot extremely well unlike the rest of us. The weather was nice and my chicken sandwiches delicious as was the Arkells 3B brought by an ex-gunner officer who shoots with us. In fact out of sixteen guns we now have two ex-Gunners, two Scottish infantry, two Int corps and one ex-Stafford. A suitable proportion of the population I feel!

Finally we had a high turnout at the pub on the hill;where they serve Butcombe and Doom Bar, 6X and Stowford to refresh thirsty guns, beaters and pickers up. Windsor did two blind retrieves in super-quick style. I got three birds with five shots. Then home for a curry and NZ getting gubbed by Johnny Frenchman...it really does not get any better than that.

ugly

LE
Glad to hear you did well, the shoot that I run the beating on has had a few hiccups getting the ball rolling this year but check out the blog and the bag was a good mixed one if a little light. Roll on the 27th and I'll have more dogs, pickers ups and beaters not forgetting a full complement of guns!
Musnt forget the lovely pair of puppies on the waitress in the chestnut mare! One of my female beaters said that they would be on her knees by the time she reached 60, I replied with more like 3 o clock when the pub shut if I had my way!

Cuddles said:
We started on Saturday, with a nice steady fifty bird bag. Oh and one fox! That'll teach the thieving b'tard!

It was a perfect day - we had three new guns, all who shot extremely well unlike the rest of us. The weather was nice and my chicken sandwiches delicious as was the Arkells 3B brought by an ex-gunner officer who shoots with us. In fact out of sixteen guns we now have two ex-Gunners, two Scottish infantry, two Int corps and one ex-Stafford. A suitable proportion of the population I feel!

Finally we had a high turnout at the pub on the hill;where they serve Butcombe and Doom Bar, 6X and Stowford to refresh thirsty guns, beaters and pickers up. Windsor did two blind retrieves in super-quick style. I got three birds with five shots. Then home for a curry and NZ getting gubbed by Johnny Frenchman...it really does not get any better than that.
Does the shoot sell on your bag or do you take the lot away with you? If so, how much for a brace? Not in a syndicate myself, and have not managed to walk up any birds yet, wondering if the summer has taken it's toll on the poults earlier on in the season. Would like to get some pheasant on the table soon.

zxninerpilot said:
Cuddles said:

Does the shoot sell on your bag or do you take the lot away with you? If so, how much for a brace? Not in a syndicate myself, and have not managed to walk up any birds yet, wondering if the summer has taken it's toll on the poults earlier on in the season. Would like to get some pheasant on the table soon.
We don't shoot enough to sell on. Everyone (guns that is) gets a brace. Then the beaters and pickers up and then if there are any others, the greediest guns get second dibs!

Mine are awaiting my attentions in the shed and will be curried (yes, curried) later this week.

ugly

LE
I put a hare in the freezer ready for currying later this winter!

Cuddles said:
zxninerpilot said:
Cuddles said:

We don't shoot enough to sell on. Everyone (guns that is) gets a brace. Then the beaters and pickers up and then if there are any others, the greediest guns get second dibs!

Mine are awaiting my attentions in the shed and will be curried (yes, curried) later this week.
You are not alone. We curry pheasants as well. I have given up plucking them pretty much altogether so they get skinned and curried or casseroled these days.

Making me hungry now.

Not starting shooting until 25th - and that still seems quite early judging by the tails on the birds yesterday. Five new young dogs are joining the shoot (incl one of mine) so it should be entertaining in that regard, if nothing else......

"COME BACK 'ERE YER BUGGER!!!!!'

ugly

LE
We had a new gun start on saturday gone with his allegedly wifes trained flatcoat. Another 3 counties dog! Still he seems alright though!

John_Jorrocks said:
Cuddles said:
zxninerpilot said:
Cuddles said:

You are not alone. We curry pheasants as well. I have given up plucking them pretty much altogether so they get skinned and curried or casseroled these days.

Making me hungry now.
Switched to skinning as the Mrs was creating about the mess (whats wrong with feathers in the toaster FFS?) - still roast up nicely with protective bacon and lots of basting if you're careful.

Thought I might 1/4, marinade and BBQ as an experiment - I don't hang them for more than a couple of days as a rule.

Damn, I'm starting to drool.

ZX9 what's your location? - I am trying to arrange a trip to the farm subject to time off, £, and the Mrs letting me out on my own after the cat 'incident', so will be travelling the M1/M6/M54 corridor. If I actually manage to bag anything, you're welcome to a spare bird. I would say brace but I have no idea what's wandering around the farm apart from flopsy by the thousand.

standstill said:
Intensive breeding of birds with the sole purpose of them being killed in the name of sport. You must be real men.
Funnily enough, I don't do it to define or prove my gender, nor - I believe - do any of the women that I know, either.

You are a vegan, of course?

standstill said:
Intensive breeding of birds with the sole purpose of them being killed in the name of sport. You must be real men.
I don't care how they are killed (prefer it to be quick and I trust Ugly that it will be) - they are yummy. People don't kill them for sport - it is to eat. birds reared like this must have a far happier life than battery hens.

ugly

LE
standstill said:
Its been a while but there is usually one you can rely on! :D
I'll gladly take any wavering veggy or gobby anti out with me to see how life really is; red in tooth and claw!
Not managed to mention how small my c0ck is yet, must be slipping or building up to it!

standstill said:
Re: intensive breeding, that produces poor birds that won't fly hence is generally a non-starter. Its a cash crop after all. Pheasant poults are released into the wild (sic) as early as possible.

Do you object generally to animals being killed for pleasure? Would that extend, eg: to killing an animal where there is a viable synthetic alternative to whatever animal product resulted?

Have you really thought that through to its logical conclusion?

standstill said:
Not a lot different from the intensive farming used to produce most of our meat /eggs etc and at least the birds have a decent life style before being shot, which is more than can be said for those animals, if the game shot is eaten i cannot really see any rational person having objections

Civvy_Shot said:
John_Jorrocks said:
Cuddles said:
zxninerpilot said:
Cuddles said:

Making me hungry now.
Switched to skinning as the Mrs was creating about the mess (whats wrong with feathers in the toaster FFS?) - still roast up nicely with protective bacon and lots of basting if you're careful.

Thought I might 1/4, marinade and BBQ as an experiment - I don't hang them for more than a couple of days as a rule.

Damn, I'm starting to drool.

ZX9 what's your location? - I am trying to arrange a trip to the farm subject to time off, £, and the Mrs letting me out on my own after the cat 'incident', so will be travelling the M1/M6/M54 corridor. If I actually manage to bag anything, you're welcome to a spare bird. I would say brace but I have no idea what's wandering around the farm apart from flopsy by the thousand.
Thanks for the offer CS, though sadly I am down south for the time being. Will continue to rough shoot in the meantime, something will turn up eventually, if not it'll be squirrel on the menu!

ugly

LE
auxie said:
standstill said:
Not a lot different from the intensive farming used to produce most of our meat /eggs etc and at least the birds have a decent life style before being shot, which is more than can be said for those animals, if the game shot is eaten i cannot really see any rational person having objections
Bold, vastly different, I release 6 week pold poulys into a protected pen which works out at roughly 1 and 1/2 birds for each 1 metre of fence. They have natural cover and are fed and given clean water. I dont buy from cage reared gam farms and only buy old English strains where possible. Next year I will build a new pen using 200 metres of fence and put 2oo birds in. This will allow the other pen to recover. I will split the flock over both pens the following season. The aim is to allow the birds as much freedonm as possible, clean water and food, no medical intervention if possible and as free a life as possible before attempting to shoot about 1/4 to a 1/2 of them. I have about 3 tons of corn invested in 29 feeders dotted about my woods to ensure that they are well fed and happy and not dependent upon returning to the pen.
Most return to roost each night. Now if that isnt vastly different from 20 000 balding Ross Cobs in a shed them called me a cloggies uncle.
Italics. I agree wholeheartedly. There is room in my wood for all of the creatures and we even put up with the occaisional fox by feeding him pigeons and grey squirrells at the far edge of our shoot.
When he gets lazy and careless then I'll vapourise him!
If you want to eat meat that isnt injected with growth hormones and water then eat game! Otherwise go to tesco own brand (I would think twice before feeding the dogs) and feel free to enforce the circle of tiny profits that traps farmers into intensive farming in the first place!

The majority of the birds (in the region of 35 million per annum) that are released into the wild have been intensively reared. Pheasant poults are 'bitted' to prevent them from pecking each other. The layers have spent months in cages laying their eggs. Their wings are then clipped to stop them leaving their release pens until they have become familiar with their surroundings.

A huge number of the birds are NOT eaten - they are buried in big pits on the larger commercial shoots.
A huge number of the birds are wounded and suffer hideous injury before going through a slow and painful death.

No, I do not condone the way that much of supermarket meat is reared, but game shooting is not sport, it is cruelty.

standstill said:
The majority of the birds (in the region of 35 million per annum) that are released into the wild have been intensively reared. Pheasant poults are 'bitted' to prevent them from pecking each other. The layers have spent months in cages laying their eggs. Their wings are then clipped to stop them leaving their release pens until they have become familiar with their surroundings.

A huge number of the birds are NOT eaten - they are buried in big pits on the larger commercial shoots.
A huge number of the birds are wounded and suffer hideous injury before going through a slow and painful death.

No, I do not condone the way that much of supermarket meat is reared, but game shooting is not sport, it is cruelty.
ooohh thats real bad i dont like cruelty but i eat meat lets hope people take heed standstill

ugly

LE
standstill said:

Before you believe the LACS website come out and watch a commercial day. I have never seen a bird buried. I also attend commercial shoots picking up and on a 500 bird day that means every bird is sold to a dealer and goes to France. Believe me I work damn hard collecting shot birds with my dogs and have only ever needed to despatch a handfull in all the years I have been doing this. These have mainly been Geese shot with stupidly innefficient steel shot due to an unproven science that made it into law.
Bitting is done with plastic guards that come off before the birds are ready to take from the game farms. Pecking of feathers is prevalent in intensively reared birds such as battery hens but I wouldnt buy a bald pould so I know of no game farmer that wouldnt use them should they be necessary. Its a lot better than the cauterising cut to remove the beak of a battery hen which is where bitting gets its name from. Pheasants are sold whole to game dealers who inspect them and I know of no dealer who would sell beak less bids as they are shipped whole overseas and the french like o see English birds as they are better looked after. If a bird costs me £25 from egg to plate then I want it to be in the best possible condidtion.
The offer is there, come out with me and see how well they are looked after. It is restocking the countryside so that each year we see more survivors from previous seasons that wouldnt have been there if we still intensively farmed our land as we did after the war till the 1980's.