Opening a UK Bank Account

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Feenix, Jan 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I want to open a UK Bank Account but keep coming up with the need to have proof of address in the UK. Any one any ideas how to overcome this as foreign resident without actually meeting this requirement.?

2. You can't avoid it. It is due to money laundering regulations.

3. Open a joint account with a UK friend.

My wife is Russian, and couldn't open an account in her own name. I had to open a new account, then add her as an authorised user (the wife bit meant nothing to the bank). She then used the account as her own personal account.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Try one of those pre paid master card type things. Only cost a couple of quid.

5. 2 Years ago I moved my bank account from Jersey back to the UK. Having my permanent address in Germany was not a problem. I merely needed to provide proof of identity, in the form of a passport. Sorted. Before anyone asks, HSBC Jersey has nothing to do with HSBC UK.

6. proof of address is utility bill or something, anything with your address printed on it

7. how much do you want to launder?
    do i get a % if i help?;-)

i'm joking before anyone wonders!

8. This seems the most sensible option, assuming you have a UK resident you trust with access to your money!

9. Thanks for your reply. Like all these regulations and laws the innocent get shafted whilst the crooks make a few minor adjustments and carry on as normal.
    All I really want to do is cover my ass by adding another signatory but told I have to open and additional

10. Thanks for that I went a similar route and had no trouble with a Jersey Bank for years. Thats was when i had money its now when i dont have much I am getting the hassle

11. No SausageDog I dont and before anyone volunteers...............Foreign Office but thanks for the reply

• Like Like x 1