Opening A Soldiers Army Locker

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by adir, Jan 18, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On what grounds (besides searching for drugs, contraband, stolen articles, recovering equipment/clothing) can a soldier's army locker be opened?

If the soldier is not in attendance is their some type of formal protocol informing the soldier after the fact declaring that his locker has been opened and the reasons why? Does this have to be in writing or officially recorded somewhere? Who has the authority to allow a soldier's locker to be opened?

Is there an army reference document that details this type of specific issue?

2. The most common reason is when a soldier has gone AWOL and you are clearing out his kit. I think that it is covered in the AA 1955 and QRs - but don't have them to hand. Authority would usually be the CO and it should always be done (where possible) with the soldier present.

Other than for the reasons given (drugs etc which would be by the RMP) I can't think why a soldier's locker should be opened though - is there a particular grievance here?

3. I have seen lockers being opened in the past, but there is never appears to be any protocol aside of the fact that a SNCO is present. Usually, the soldiers are never informed before or after the fact.
    The last time, the soldier could have been made available but was not told at all before or after the fact (he found out from a mate who was in the locker room at the time). Also, the search was not for recovering clothing/equipment, stolen goods, contraband, drugs or any other naughty things either. Also, authority was given by a S/Sgt who was not even the soldier's line manager and was not authorised by the CO, OC, SSM, etc. Surely it should be a 'recorded event'?
    I wanted to clarify the position.

4. I can't imagine why a soldier's locker would be opened by anyone who was not acting on CO's authority unless it was a disciplinary reason which this, apparently, isn't? When you clear a soldiers locker (AWOL or dead) you fill in a form listing everything in there.

If this case has been done for any other reason I suggest the guy take it up with his CSM or failing that the Adjt. There are privacy issues here but whether any actual rules have been broken I'm not sure.

As reported it is well out of order though.

5. In this particular case, it was to apparently check that the soldier had a particular type of uniform stored in there and was not a disciplinary reason i.e. the usual negative reasons.
    They have not informed the soldier in writing or verbally or recorded the fact anywhere. Knowing that the army likes dicipline and paperwork I thought that this was strange.

6. The problem is some people think it is their god given right to interfere with other peoples lives etc. Unless it is in the pursuit of a criminal investigation no soldier regardless of rank should have their belongings/personal effects interfered with. Especialy if not even there at the time.

7. msr

msr LE

I hope they were not planting evidence in there.

msr

8. I hope they were not planting evidence in there.

if the singlies lockers in my old troop in Germany were anything to go by , i don't know about evidence , they could've been planting potatoes in there.

9. This raises an important point. If a civilian were to have their place of residence or property searched, the police would require a search warrant issued.

How does this work with the military, both single and married. Can anyone just search you because the building is owned by the MOD? It is still that individuals place of residence after all. For this to be legal, the MOD must be expempt this somewhere in law, i would have thought.

Boney

10. This thread sounds a bit iffy to me. No-one with an ounce of sense should conduct a search of another persons property without first obtaining permission from the OC/CO or having the person present.

11. I had a potential drugs case as orderly officer a month before leaving. The advice I got from the professionals was to do nothing except for submitting a witness statement along with the person reporting the incident. Room/kit searches are a minefield.

12. Big massive huge No No.

Unless you have CO's go ahead, you can't do it.
    locker inspections are a different matter, but a "search" no way

RMP no longer need the authority from a CO it comes from a Service Police Officer ie a Capt or above. If a room or locker need to be searched then they must have quite strong grounds to do so.
    Also for all you Pads out there this also extends to you as well, RMP can now search all relevant residential premises, that means everywhere they need to, so don't be stashin you spare thunderflashes at you mums house!!

If i were the bloke i'd be off cryin to the Padre that the nasty men searched my locker!!

13. I didn't want to convey the impression above that the system did nothing! :oops: The arm of the law is long indeed and the wheels of justice turn slowly....I am sure that the sniffer dog went around a few days later, at the very least!

14. Most squaddies will weigh up the pros and cons of lodging a complaint. Upsetting the regimental hierachy if your not an attatched arm or able to be posted within a corps is usually a bad idea. This is how power mad micro managers get away with what they do. Complaint or career?

15. Well to be honest with the little turds that are joining up now, i think CO's now can't aford to have a CDT on there camp as they will lose so many!!!