Open University

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by bullshit, Nov 12, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anybody throw some light on what the systems would provide an assisting me in Doing an OU Degree?

Also any other advise would be much appreciated.

2. BS -

Pop up to your local AEC, have a chat with one of the ETS people.  Try beforehand to have an idea of what you want your degree/diploma/cert etc, to be in and discuss it with them.

It helps them to help you, if you know what you're after, but if you are unsure, they'll give you some pointers.  Give them a call and pop round for a brew and a chat.  They've got lots of time for you, straight up.  I haven't met one yet who isn't interested in helping guys/gals get on!  

You'll get some sound advice from the 'edumicators', after all......they're all graduates themselves and a good few are LE's, so have came up through the long slog process and will know where you're coming from (that's if you're not already commissioned).  The Reg officers are equally as good, I'm not missing them out.

If you are advised that you need to do some work beforehand, don't be put off.  It's good to do some just to get you into the 'mind set' for studying.   Your foundation year will sort you out on that front as well.  

An added bonus is that they will also provide you with the correct advice on funding, claims, etc.

The very best advice which I can personally give, is to think carefully about what it is you want to do, what do you intend to do with it and most of all, consider if is it something that you will enjoy, as you're going to be stuck with it for up to six years.  

You may already have qualifications for which the OU may give credit, which will cut down your time.

Best of luck mate.

3. Thanks MASONIC,

I've a very sound idea on what to do, it is a Degree in History, mainly because I really enjoy the subject and I already have a HND in geeky IT Subjects, plus commerical IT qualification.

My logic is therefore to do a Degree in something I enjoy and am relaxed in, having done HND is IS/IT the subject is dry and pushing oneself on an evening to study for a dry subject I think would be harder.

I also have no access to any edumacators being based on the edge of the world, so any advice on claims etc would be of great help.

Ta

Bull

4. Check your mail box.

5. You can also check out the ou at www.open.ac.uk

I did my degree with the OU so have a good idea of what it takes-mail me with any specifics you want

6. BS - recommend the web site as posted above, or fill in one of the OU adverts in the papers to get the prospectuses and course information.  OU degree courses start in Feb, so you need to apply soon otherwise they might say 'full'.  As a first timer with the OU they will recommend that you do one of their 'foundation' courses first: useful if you've not studied for a while, or never done distance learning, but a drag if you're comfortable with history and think that you will get credit points from previous study.

Finished my OU history degree last year - good fun and its much more interesting than IS/IT!!  System will allow you your SLC towards fees (payable after the course), will pay for any Summer School, and will also give you a week's extra leave for summer school (plus T&S to get there!).  OU provide tutor support, with quite a lot available for first level students, and have arrangements to support BFPO addresses (eg, dedicated tutors for those deployed; visiting tutors for Germany & Cyprus, etc).
    You may have an OU 'Centre' locally - worth dropping in to see them if there is one (look in the phone book or their web site).
    Enjoy!!!

7. mkw

mkw Swinger

up periscope too bad you missed out on the ELC :D :D :D

8. Lots of good advice has been said already here which I agree with.

I would just add - make the most of the OU. It is there to help you get on in life and there is no one who looks after your interests better than you !

I have done a few courses with them and their books are well written - clear and concise. Excellent value especially when you include the Army contribution.

In my view, OU courses should be fully MOD funded. It would cost little when compared to other major spends and would be a super recruiting and retention tool.

9. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

Just to add to what has been said, I haven't studied with the OU, but have justed finished an MBA, which has eaten up almost all of my free time in the last 2 years.

The biggest challenge will be managing time, and that is something to think about when you have essays to write, a dissertation to finish, and exams to sit and revise for.

It might be worth doing a time-plan of your week and see how much free time you have, and then taking 6-8 hours out of that in 2 or 3 slots in the week. If you can plan that out then you will have the time you need to study, if you can't find 6-8 hours then you might find completing the course a bit of a struggle.

10. If you can find the time to do the OU then do it.
    As previously mentioned you will have certain pre learned qualifications that could give you degree points already. (skills transfer)
    One word of advice, dont jump in at the high end, a lot of OU learning is based on what you have already done, including learning how to write the way the OU expects.
    When applying for a course the OU will give you guidance on previous learning such as books you can buy as study guides.
    The study guides will show you how to allocate time to studying, plus some of the skills that you may be rusty on.
    The guide will cover the subject you want to partake in, English, Maths, Science, Computes, History, etc.
    Pick the study guide advised to you and spend the next 6 weeks or so building on their advice, it will set you up well prior to an OU course.
    I know I have been there, Its worth the post course study, just to get into the OU way of thinking.

11. I applied to the OU, they said come and visit no one is here. so i did and no one was there!! :D

12. Dunno if this is a daft question... but is it possible to take your OU studies on ops (such as Telic)? Just with the current operational tempo it looks like a bit of a nightmare finding the available op-free years to do the studying.

13. you can and the OU will support you as best it can though depending on
    what you doing and where you are will decide how succesfull you are
    good luck anyway

14. Cheers woody. Exactly what I wanted to hear!