Open University History BA (Hons) AA100

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by Tremaine, Jul 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I'm booked on to the Open University BA (Honours) History: Heritage studies pathway, and just sorting out funding for the October start. It seems a natural progression from A level History but just a bit daunting. Just the set books to buy now and they're likely to be on Amazon or EBay. The course kicks off with the OU AA100 The arts past and present. The OU website and resources seem excellent. Would be glad to hear from anyone else who's doing or done this. And for any pointers on the TMA's and assignments. Thankyou.

2. Alright mate, did this 2 years ago. It's a good introduction into the arts. Some enjoyable and some a little boring. Highlights for me was surprising. I enjoyed Art History especially Benin and also the Greek Tragedy: Burial at Thebes. I hated philosophy as I couldn't get my head around it. Mate PM me and I think I still have the set books, saves you buying them off eBay. You can have them. ETMA don't worry about them, your written skills will improve as time goes on. My advice is to concentrate on the evidence (primary or secondary) and relate it to the question posed. Always avoid narrative. Good luck

3. Hello mate,

I start this course at the same time as you. I am going down the same heritage route as you and so far have completed 120 points. I have to complete AA100 as it's compulsory so going back to Level 1. A200 is also compulsory, hard graft with an exam thrown in. You can use 60 "free choice points" at level 1, i chose DD131(BORING), A180 and A182-Welsh history and an intro to heritage studies.Not bad to be honest. Feel free to PM for any help you need.

4. Glad I'm not the only one who thought AA200 was graft : /. Should get my exam results next week. Im starting A307 in Sep Religion in History cos I'm waiting for the new total war module to get re-written which will inc. Falklands etc.

5. I did well enough on my TMA's to substitute the last one. The exam went well but the writers cramp was terrible!. I don't fancy any more religious history studies. Sturm, Henry VIII, Luther et al.......found the various sects baffling at times.

6. I hated the economics in slavery. Exam was an eye opener and hit home on how you should revise. My writing was completely narrative but I think trying to write an essay in an hour sometimes pushes you that way I suppose.

AA100 compared is a doddle

Are you still on 735 per module? So glad I started my degree earlier as I doubt I would of started at 2500

7. Edited to add. 735.00 quid per module and now 2500.00 quid per module

8. Luckily still on the old system......phew!

9. I had an issue with ELC and had a bit of a moan about it. Can't claim for two modules for example one this year and one next year, as OU won't open the registration or pricing for next years module.

Not keen to waste potential 1500 quid of ELC. Don't suppose you have any experience of this?

10. I have submitted for two, Education center signed it no bother. They questioned why the OU was asking about this.

11. Yeh I think the education centre where I was were being ****. Telling me to do two courses simultaneously. Just laughed in his face. That's right 'Sir' I'll juggle doing 120 points which is full time Uni with being at full time work.

Anyway you may see my gripe in Soldier Mag lol

12. Thankyou very much for all the replies and profound apologies for the delay. So thank you to Kybosh and to bohs_man. I've reserved the Greek Tragedy: Burial at Thebes and A World of Difference: an anthology of short stories from five continents, from the Library. Meanwhile, getting in to Faustus. There's plenty of material on Open Learn, and online, Ebooks and all sorts.

Time to invest in a Kindle, methinks.

The course is expensive, I agree. As the course won't kick off til October I'll get in to the books now and take it one step, etc
    No decisions yet on following modules, but the heritage pathway seemed to be ideal.

Quote bohs_man
    Hello mate,

I start this course at the same time as you. I am going down the same heritage route as you and so far have completed 120 points. I have to complete AA100 as it's compulsory so going back to Level 1. A200 is also compulsory, hard graft with an exam thrown in. You can use 60 "free choice points" at level 1, i chose DD131(BORING), A180 and A182-Welsh history and an intro to heritage studies.Not bad to be honest. Feel free to PM for any help you need.
    Thank you.

Quote Kybosh

"Alright mate, did this 2 years ago. It's a good introduction into the arts. Some enjoyable and some a little boring. Highlights for me was surprising. I enjoyed Art History especially Benin and also the Greek Tragedy: Burial at Thebes. I hated philosophy as I couldn't get my head around it. Mate PM me and I think I still have the set books, saves you buying them off eBay. You can have them. ETMA don't worry about them, your written skills will improve as time goes on. My advice is to concentrate on the evidence (primary or secondary) and relate it to the question posed. Always avoid narrative. Good luck"

Thanks Kybosh. Best to avoid narrative I agree. WRT the set books, your generous offer of books is appreciated and welcome. And I may take you up on that.

13. Will have a look. PM me when you get your result!

14. Of course. PM me and I'll see if I've got them and get back to you. Not home till weekend unfortunately.

Faustus is very good by the way, once you get through the style of verse.

15. Sorry, one to add on Kindle. You can send all course material to your Kindle as its PDF (very handy) but it's a bit hard to read.

I would recommend hard copies of the books as you can tab up and make annotations etc. just a thought