Open university alternatives (distance learning)

Folks
I've Been looking at the various options now available OU has now become prohibitively expensive. ( ECLAS does not apply in my case.)

I understand Sweden may do university courses for free, for EU passport holders. And Russia (Emas) charges 1/3 the price of any UK based institution.

Has anyone any experience or knowledge of these areas.
I am curious as to how the Russian MBA's are seen in the west.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Out of interest how much is it to do a OU course?

Folks
I've Been looking at the various options now available OU has now become prohibitively expensive. ( ECLAS does not apply in my case.)

I understand Sweden may do university courses for free, for EU passport holders. And Russia (Emas) charges 1/3 the price of any UK based institution.

Has anyone any experience or knowledge of these areas.
I am curious as to how the Russian MBA's are seen in the west.

When I worked for Cap Gemini we ran 4 recruitment strands:
  • General skills recruitment
  • Graduate entry
  • Ex-services recruitment
  • MBA recruitment
I can categorically state that we would not entertain a Russian MBA. About as much credibility as an American degree mill.

When I worked for Cap Gemini we ran 4 recruitment strands:
  • General skills recruitment
  • Graduate entry
  • Ex-services recruitment
  • MBA recruitment
I can categorically state that we would not entertain a Russian MBA. About as much credibility as an American degree mill.
How about a distance learned University of London degree?

How about a distance learned University of London degree?
Fine. Ditto the O.U.

Double fine if the degree was connected to the job you had at the time. So being a programmer and doing computer science would be good. Extra kudos for managing both. Being a programmer and distance studying (say) classics would probably get you onto the general recruitment strand rather than the graduate entry one, but this would probably pay better anyway.

(Oddly enough I was going to do that in the late 70s. I worked for a geophysical company and they were happy to fund me through a distance learning course at Imperial College (which was just as well as I worked in the Saudi desert)).

To you and the OP - would your employer wholly/part fund the degree/MBA?

Out of interest how much is it to do a OU course?

c.£22k for a Masters such as an MBA

Whats really unacceptable is that there is no price commitment or full-course prepayment at the outset of the course. I.e. the OU is quite liable to jack up prices as you progress through the course modules.

Have you considered hacking a foot off then applying for OU disabled veterans funding?

Fine. Ditto the O.U.

Double fine if the degree was connected to the job you had at the time. So being a programmer and doing computer science would be good. Extra kudos for managing both. Being a programmer and distance studying (say) classics would probably get you onto the general recruitment strand rather than the graduate entry one, but this would probably pay better anyway.

(Oddly enough I was going to do that in the late 70s. I worked for a geophysical company and they were happy to fund me through a distance learning course at Imperial College (which was just as well as I worked in the Saudi desert)).

To you and the OP - would your employer wholly/part fund the degree/MBA?
Mine is unlikely to, as we are officially self employed.

Thankyou all for your answers,
I have seen a US website called University of the people,
It seems to a reduced price version of the open university for the USA.
Does anyone have any knowledge of how a degree or MBA is valued coming from them?

Does anyone have any knowledge of how a degree or MBA is valued coming from them?

Cornflake packet?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Have you considered hacking a foot off then applying for OU disabled veterans funding?
There is also the OU Students Association who help fund courses for students who are too poor to afford them. OUSA is run by students who fund raise (especially) during summer schools by organising entertainment and events.
It's much more knackering than actually studying ;-)

My first thought was “degree mill”. However it does appear to be genuine.

It has various accreditations and serious backers.

Wiki says this about it’s MBAs.

In March 2016, the university began offering an online MBA, with the course itself beginning in September 2016.[17] The MBA is not accredited by any business school accreditation bodies (e.g. AACSB, AMBA, EQUIS).[2] In April 2016, the university signed an articulation agreement with the University of California, Berkeley regarding top associate degree graduates.[10] Also, from 2016 the University offers an associate and a bachelor's degree in Health Science.[18]
My suggestion would be sounding out a few employers and recruitment consultants to get
an opinion on whether it is worthwhile.