OPEN SOURCE - early Op. Banner, Derry & USN

I'm interested, if anyone cares to share, in stories, dits, gossip, rumour, innuendo, lies and tall tales from the early days of Banner in Derry. I'm particularity interested in the USN base and personnel and how they interacted with the people and British forces during that period.

I know nothing having spent no more than one or two days in the place.

jc

Been done in the Recent Ops part of the site a while ago.
In the Op. Banner Forum I found:

You old cynic you. It took me more than an hour to weave through his dissertation.

As a constructive comment, I feel that Lt. Cmdr. Bowlin USN could have discussed his Service who were associated with some alleged unsavoury activities at US Naval base in Clooney circa '69 > 75.
As I recall, there were allegations of assistance on their part to the nascant PIRA. The 1st. battalion of The Grens had reason to visit and did so in a very assertive manner- 74/75? The base closed in '77? with developing technology given as a reason, thus making the place redundant.

The Republican government of Gerald Ford in the USA at odds with Harold Wilson's Labour in UK were assumed to be the reason for the alleged support of PIRA.
and have downloaded the PDF but would like to hear more. Am I looking in the wrong place ?

jc

Last edited:
I'm interested, if anyone cares to share, in stories, dits, gossip, rumour, innuendo, lies and tall tales from the early days of Banner in Derry. I'm particularity interested in the USN base and personnel and how they interacted with the people and British forces during that period.

I know nothing having spent no more than one or two days in the place.

jc
Gets covered in the recently published "An Army of Tribes" by Edward Burke.

Rough place for the USN that Londonderry, people got medals for being there.

NAVCOMMSTA Londonderry - Service Ribbon Awards
The above service ribbons represent those eligible to NAVCOMMSTA Londonderry and its predecessor commands:

American Defense Service Medal with Base clasp - During the advance base construction phase until 7 Dec 1941.

European - African - Middle Eastern Campaign Medal - 7 Dec 1941 - 8 Nov 1945.

World War II Victory Medal - 7 Dec 1941 - 31 Dec 1946.

National Defense Service Medal - (Two award periods)27 June 1950 - 27 July 1954 and 1 Jan 1961 - 14 August 1974.

Navy and Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon - For twelve months consecutive or accumulative overseas duty after 14 Aug 1974.

Attachments