Open Office - Pros and cons

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Tartan_Terrier, Jan 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've seen this advertised a couple of times as an add on when I've updated Java, but I don't know much about it. Does anyone here use it?

www.openoffice.org

Is it really compatible with Word and so on?

What are the drawbacks (there must be some since it's free!)

Any comments or advice gratefully recieved.

Cheers
    T_T

2. Open Office and the older versions of Sun Microsystems Star Office 5.6 ( I think) are basically the same thing.

I have used them for years and they are compatible with all the common MS programmes as well as older office setups.

They, additionally, will open and save a vast array of wired formats so if someone sends you a word processor file from a MAC that MS Office cannot open then Star Office/Open Office will open it and save aversions that can be sent back to the MAC.

The older Adabas database was a dog though, i never got that to work.

Open Office will give you the same as about £1,200 of MS software free of charge.

3. Just remember to save in the format you need if you are porting it to another computer that does not have OO or SO installed.It defaults to its own file type. The spreadsheet is fantastic though, beats excel hands down.

4. Open Office is one of the best bits of free software you can get, try it!

5. Excellent gear, just do as stated above ref: saving format.

6. Star Office = Sun's pay version.

Open Office = Open Source version.

More compatible than MS versions of its own Office program that isn't always backwards-compatible with itself.

7. I've used MS Office at work since the early 90's (*) so I think I'm reasonably familiar with it. I have OpenOffice at home and I have yet to find something I can't do that I can do in MS Office.

The only wrinkles I've found are the default save formats as mentioned below, make sure they're the right vintage of MS Office files for compatibility.

(*) It might not have been Office back then, I seem to remember installing Word and Excel separately, but no matter.

8. msr

msr LE

Just watch out for it 'altering' the files you have saved as .doc as the Adjt may, or may not, be sympathetic to your preference for Open Office over his/hers for correct Service Writing standards.

msr

9. It's great - been using Open Office 3.0 now for a while and got rid of some old M/S bloatware that was totally superfluous.....

10. Sounds good. Time to start downloading!

Thanks guys.

11. There is one correct standard for Defence Writing, JSP 101. Any adjutant who thinks he has his own standards needs a kick up the arrse. It doesn't matter if you use MS Office, OpenOffice or bloody Johannes Gensfleisch zur Laden zum Gutenberg's mechanical printing press.

Anyway, Defence Writing is purely a guide. Overwhelmingly more important is the content of your written work, which is seldom up to standard.

12. Got a bit carried away there.

Open Office is first rate. I've used it on Mac, PC and Linux and I've been happy with all three versions.

13. msr

msr LE

Which is exactly my point. If you write an admin O in Open Office and the Adjt opens it in Word, you may find that the formatting changes. I have never tried opening a Word document in a mechanical press, but suspect that it may not render as you originally intended....

Absolutely :)

msr

14. Then why not save it as a pdf file and that over...

15. PDF is a huge sucky format thats why, though OO does have a plug in to edit them if you must.