Open Mic Night: ideal songs?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Your_Mums_Pal, Oct 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I've been asked to play at one of these at a local pub the week after the honeymoon and despite having a fairly varied knowledge of shite that I can knock out on an acoustic guitar, I'm not the best singer. Nor am I the best clued-up person music wise and I don't want to subject the punters in the pub to an hour's worth of badly sung Pink Floyd and Radiohead songs.

I'm looking more for current pop songs or cheesey old guitar hits that would go down a peach and aren't very hard to sing.

I have, for shits and giggles, added the following to the 'set list' (you cant' even call it that):

Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus
    Mr Brightside by the Killers
    Little Lion Man by Mumford and Sons
    Uptown Girl by Billy Joel (I would actually prefer to remove this)

Any ideas? Even shit ones are appreciated.

2. Ernie - The Fastest Milkman in the West.

3. thunderstruck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. This is a consideration.

Was also considering that song "Big Bad John" though I can't remember who sings it.

5. Writings On The Wall - Plan B (Defamation of Strickland Banks)

A winner for wedding receptions.

6. He is a ******* class A cock but this might be a winner. I'll need to look it up and listen to it. It's not a slow one is it?

7. through the fire and flames by dragonforce, or raining blood by slayer

8. If you want to see how acoustic covers are done look up Boyce Avenue on youtube.

There are plenty of modern ones with a different spin.

9. Just tell me the songs they play, Pebbles. I can't be arsed watching somebody do something better than I can!

10. I can play an acoustic rendition of Juggernaut by Enter Shikari - intro riff included - if that counts.

11. That song is blinding. "We ain't over baby, but the writings on the wall, this time next year, we'll be no more."

Personally, Ben Drew may be a bit of a bell, but that album is top class. I like Ill Manors as well, but I've never been accused of having a) an ear for music, or b) any taste. Good luck at the gig, some of the traditionalists might not like Writing, but drunken singly blokes or the recently divorced will probably love it.

12. PS it does speed up a bit.

13. Nah i dont like it. Have you considered playing the longest day by maiden? Always appropriate

14. ....or Freebird by Lynyrd? You can showcase your guitar talents with that badger.

15. Freebird is a no go because it pisses me off to no end.

sundance I will probably be avoiding Maiden/ACDC etc because not only am I not good enough to keep up when playing that stuff but I can't sing very well. I will be playing Hey Hey What Can I Do by Zepplin probably, though.

Listening to the radio atm to see if any pop songs hit out. I was considering doing Starships by Nicki "hujarce" Minaj and maybe even a Jesse J song since they go down a treat. Probably that one about not needing money.