Op Walkure

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Vaughany, Jan 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. People seem to be talking abot the different aspects of the Valkyrie plot alot in the movie forum so I'm starting a thread so that people can talk about the historical value of it here.

I for one am very interested in it but have to admit that had the operation been succeeded, my family would not have existed. Shame it didn't go according to plan :D
  2. One of the plotters involved was an Ayrshire man he was born in Saltcoats when his parents were on holiday there
  3. Historically? you mean as in why have a character the stature of Liam Neeson or Charles Dance played by someone who is vertically challenged? 8O

4. So what's this Op Walkure all about then ?
  5. In a nutshell, Operation Walküre was an op that Hitler had approved of to be used by the Reserve Army in case rioting or civil disorder broke out. General Friedrich Olbricht thought it could be used to seize control of cities and destroy the SS and Gestapo once Hitler was out of the way. Colonel von Stauffenberg volunteered to carry out the assassination, but although the bomb he planted exploded, Hitler only sustained minor injuries. The conspirators thought he had died in the explosion and so the op was initiated. However, when word spread that the Fuehrer lived, many lost their nerve and General Fromm, in charge of the Reserve Army, had Stauffenberg and three others court martialled and shot.
  6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Walküre being German for Valkyre as in the Tom Cruise film.

Pronounce Val koore.

To get the ü sound, purse the lips to say o but say ee instead (per my German Linguist instructor, Frau Whipandboots).
  7. Nice,

do you have any more on this mate?
  8. It was Otto Kiep. His family moved back to Germany when he was in his twenties. He was an intellectual and joined the resistance movement (I think with Helmuth von Moltke or the Kreisau Circle). He was hanged in Plötzensee after the July attempt failed.

9. Nice, do you have any more on this!!!!?
  10. It was in the Herald last week if you pop along to the apollo cinema they were cutting the article to stick on the wall as they are showing the flick
  11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Bearing in mind this was thirty years ago ans she was of a certain age, there is every likelihood Daddy was a Nazi. Her teaching methods were old school. But I would have ...

Funnily enough at school 40 years ago my English-born German teacher fell into the exact same category.