Op TOSCA

#1
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/ServiceCommunity/ACyprusPosting/

With the names going in for the deployment at the end of 2009. I was wondering who has been on this in the past and what we should expect to find out there.

I have read the posts on here (most made pre deployment) which seem to mention a few things.

- Majority of time will be patrolling (some people have said its very boaring)
- The green zone is like a time capsual
- The accomidation and facilities are run down
- There is a chance to do some watersports while out there
- Lots of people failed the medical last time

How much of the above is true? and dose any one have any stories/advice.
 
#4
I've been led to believe that the next two are TA sponsored then the regs for three tours....
 
#5
I was of the understanding that the Summer tour is Reg and the Winter tour TA.

msr
 
#6
msr said:
I was of the understanding that the Summer tour is Reg and the Winter tour TA.

msr
That's what I heard.
 
#8
far-famed_wolf said:
Just before Christmas. We have been informed that it is our "Main Effort" to fill a troup ORBAT + odd job officers for it.
Just being nosey, but what unit/capbadge are you guys? I ask because a few of us were wondering about Cyprus and were told that there is no way that we would be sent and that as infantrymen if we were able to mobilise we would go straight to Afghanistan.

I have already done a tour in both Afghan and Iraq which were both pretty full on, so I feel I've done my bit and was hoping to get a tour that was a) something different b) being honest, something that was easier. Having been told that Cyprus was no-go I put in for Afghan and am going to Helmand this summer with a reg Batt, and now I read that all you guys are off to Op Tosca!

So what's the score? Is Cyprus strictly for other arms? If so, why?
 
#10
No its not strictly for other arms, but your unit may have a policy that only allows pers to go on Herrick with their own formed units for example. The current group on TOSCA is all arms.
 
#11
zenith69uk said:
No its not strictly for other arms, but your unit may have a policy that only allows pers to go on Herrick with their own formed units for example. The current group on TOSCA is all arms.
Not really, I'm going out as an IR to a regular battalion just like I've done on my two previous tours. Just had a read through an old thread on here about Tosca and it does seem to be mainly Sigs and Loggies like polar69 said. More to the point if as far_famed_wolf said Cyprus is his unit's main effort, then they've obviously been chosen for that role.

Ho hum, would have been nice to do something different, but if it ain't to be ...
 
#12
ThomasFowler said:
Ho hum, would have been nice to do something different, but if it ain't to be ...
You could always try getting a civvy job?
 
#14
If you're a tour junky and don't have a real job, wouldn't you be better with an FTRS (maybe that language one). Get some more skills, stability through this credit crunch thing I keep hearing about, etc.
 
#15
StabTiffy2B said:
If you're a tour junky and don't have a real job, wouldn't you be better with an FTRS (maybe that language one). Get some more skills, stability through this credit crunch thing I keep hearing about, etc.
I have actually thought about this and might yet stay on after the tour (they are touting for bods so the option is there), but will hold off on making a decision till after we get back. I was actually hoping that the economy might recover by the time I'm demobbed, but who knows eh?
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#16
ThomasFowler said:
a few of us were wondering about Cyprus and were told that there is no way that we would be sent and that as infantrymen if we were able to mobilise we would go straight to Afghanistan.
Yeah, we were told that too.

ThomasFowler said:
So what's the score? Is Cyprus strictly for other arms? If so, why?
It would seem so, though a few Inf SNCOs/Officers have got themselves specific postings on these tours. I believe that almost all of them came from RTCs rather than battalions.

You have to understand that TA battalions are being leaned on to provide not only a steady stream of IRs for their Regt's regular Bns, but also to send out formed Coys every two years. From this view point sending a bod to Cyprus is a crushing waste of an Infantryman who could otherwise be employed in Helmand. The only exceptions to this might be Seniors and Officers whose utility in a Reg Bn is rather more limited.

Look on the bright side; you'll have a much better chance of winning a VC than in Cyprus! :D

p.s. Which Bn are you deploying with?
 
#17
On TOSCA at the moment, pm me if you want to know what it's like. Just be patient as the tinterweb is not very reliable. I would expect a lot of comments on here post tour.

Most bars charge 5 euros for a bottle of Carlsberg or Keo (piss), some charge more. There are exceptions but you have to hunt about. Kebabs are good, but not as good as the ones in Ripon.

The next rotation is a regular unit, next TA tour is next year in the summer.

BW
 
#19
MSR, FFW, check your pms.

Just read the post about which cap badges are on TOSCA at the moment.
It is Signals led (bit of contradiction there), but out of the three Bde areas all capbadges are represented.

BW
 
#20
Many thanks!

msr
 

Latest Threads

Top