op tosca advice please

Hi all

I am possibly off to nicosia soon with rlc t.a.. Has anyone ever done this tour and taken family over with them for the six months?

Obviously i know the army wont accommodate my wife n kids but i was thinking of renting somewhere for them to stay in nicosia..

Anybody done anything simalar?? know of cheap accommodation??

Get a grip.

Does the wife not have a job, and the kids not have a education?

Hi all

I am possibly off to nicosia soon with rlc t.a.. Has anyone ever done this tour and taken family over with them for the six months?

Obviously i know the army wont accommodate my wife n kids but i was thinking of renting somewhere for them to stay in nicosia..

Anybody done anything simalar?? know of cheap accommodation??
There is nothing stopping your wife from staying in her own rented accomodation whilst you are on tour.

However, it may annoy you somewhat when you're stagging on at Ledra and your wife is the filling in a Stavros & Costas pitta.

You gopping STAB ****.

Oh FFS come on lad, it's that sort of shit that starts all the anti-STAB crap on here. If it was meant as a joke then it was very poor, if it was a serious question then I suggest you have a word with yourself.

As a regular I did a UN tour on the line when we were based in the Box Factory. I rented a place in the local village Astromeritis and had the wife over. She could only stay for 3 months as that was how long her visa was for! You will have to check the legalities out for current rules. So it is possible but to be honest Cyprus is not quite the holiday Eden you might think! If it was me I would just get her out for the RnR abd enjoy your tour.

kids just babies.. we have been contemplating moving to cyprus permenantly... Opportuinity knocked...seems like a good way to experience living and working There, its not too different from a reg being posted to germany,cyprus etc etc is it?

And whilst im stood down i can be doing my homework on schools, property etc..

im living for me! not for peoples opinions of me. Were here today gone tomorrow. Make the most of it.

To be fair to the OP, when I was on the back end of Op PALATINE/OCULUS there was talk of making it a married accompanied tour. Who would've wanted to share a corrimec with the trouble & bin lids is another question, but it could've increased the, erm, R&R opportunities for the singlies!

As a regular I did a UN tour on the line when we were based in the Box Factory. I rented a place in the local village Astromeritis and had the wife over. She could only stay for 3 months as that was how long her visa was for! You will have to check the legalities out for current rules. So it is possible but to be honest Cyprus is not quite the holiday Eden you might think! If it was me I would just get her out for the RnR abd enjoy your tour.
cheers fella, was it an appartment/hotel?? How much did you pay??

A regular did the same thing i am contemplating, so whats the problem?
Hmmm... how about

Selfless Commitment

Respect For Others

Loyalty

Integrity

Discipline

Courage (physical and moral)

for starters..... (ring any bells?)

It might only be Cyprus, but it is a an operational tour and you are there to do a job for as long as it takes in the day. Chances to walk out may well be few and far between, especially when QRF and sangar bashing. If you are a tom you will have fcuk all chance to make plans to visit your family and if you're an NCO or officer you should know better.

kids just babies.. we have been contemplating moving to cyprus permenantly... Opportuinity knocked...seems like a good way to experience living and working There, its not too different from a reg being posted to germany,cyprus etc etc is it?

And whilst im stood down i can be doing my homework on schools, property etc..

im living for me! not for peoples opinions of me. Were here today gone tomorrow. Make the most of it.
You are on an operational tour (of sorts) and you are there to do a job. It is not designed to be a six-month holiday-in-the-sun paid for by a grateful taxpayer. I suggest you stay at home, my friend, and let someone who understands the concept of commitment take your place.

You are on an operational tour (of sorts) and you are there to do a job. It is not designed to be a six-month holiday-in-the-sun paid for by a grateful taxpayer. I suggest you stay at home, my friend, and let someone who understands the concept of commitment take your place.
But can Tosca still be considered as a 'tour' as such? If 6 RIFLES did the annual camp there a few years ago it cant be too bad, and also on holiday (albeit 4 years ago) it seemed nothing like a conflict zone. Forgive me if im missing a bigger picture, as I know **** all about Tosca (apart from it being a UN tour-which is probably still wrong).

Doesn't your wife have a job, and your kids have school? Ill take a bet and guess that you're about 23/24, this is your first tour, and that you're milking all you can out of the TA and trying to blag a 6 month family holiday rather than volunteering for a real tour .

Well done for making the TA look like even bigger cnuts, see above. Would you contemplate getting the missus full-board in the Kabul branch of Mohammawlty Towers?

Sounds like a Jeremy Kyle family, with the bloke in "the TA's". My spidey senses also tell me that you're probably unemployed.

Well done, as said above, for making the TA look like bigger amateurs than we already are.

Doesn't your wife have a job, and your kids have school? Ill take a bet and guess that you're about 23/24, this is your first tour, and that you're milking all you can out of the TA and trying to blag a 6 month family holiday rather than volunteering for a real tour .

Well done for making the TA look like even bigger cnuts, see above. Would you contemplate getting the missus full-board in the Kabul branch of Mohammawlty Towers?l

Sounds like a Jeremy Kyle family, with the bloke in "the TA's". My spidey senses also tell me that you're probably 9unemployed.

Well done, as said above, for making the TA look like bigger amateurs than we already are.
Have well paid job, done six plus months on telic, mrs full time mum, am 33 But yes i will get wat i can out of the t.a... I did not sign up out of loyalty to queen and country or to be an action hero.. i signed up for the experience and transferable skills possible its to gain.. in return i will do a job for an employer whom pays me a wage..

I bet 99.9 per cent of people are the same, why did you sign to serve spider geek?

Thank you for making the TA to look like bigger cnuts than we already are, well done, pat on the back.
Theres just no need for that fella! The guys asked a question who obviously has never been on tour before and needs educated answers! Comments like you made really show the TA up not the guy who seeks out the information!

The answer to his question is YES! Privately rent a place - speak to the locals when you get there! Be on the understanding that YOUR DUTIES will take first precedent. Ask permission from your Troop / Platoon Commander (you dont need it but it helps). Cyprus is no wonderland - my wife and I went back a couple of years ago on holiday and to be honest I'd not pay to go there again let alone pack up and move there permanently, especially when there are much better options!

The other thing to consider is what your role is going to be when your there. This will dictate how much time you get off to visit the family. Personaly as I have already said get them out for an extended RnR period send them home and enjoy your tour with your comrads in arms!

Inbedding with the locals can only be a good thing to build good relationships with the locals and the British contingent. There will be plenty of blokes making total arses of themselves in Ayia Nappa pissed up pretending to be Ally war machines, think they look cool when in fact they look like cnuts.

But can Tosca still be considered as a 'tour' as such? If 6 RIFLES did the annual camp there a few years ago it cant be too bad, and also on holiday (albeit 4 years ago) it seemed nothing like a conflict zone. Forgive me if im missing a bigger picture, as I know **** all about Tosca (apart from it being a UN tour-which is probably still wrong).
Yes - it is a 'tour as such': hence it is called Op TOSCA and not Ex TOSCA. And you get a medal for it. It may be fairly gentle but is still an operational deployment, and is therefore only for those who are prepared to take it seriously. 6 RIFLES going to Cyprus for camp is a different matter altogether (just happens to be the same island) and the two should not be confused.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
321go!! Army Reserve 1
msr Army Reserve 53
Mattybouy Army Reserve 63