Op Telic

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by mrpaul, Mar 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What a piss take. 90% of the TA lads have had their tours extended by another month. They are all mumbling about it, but feel like they have no choice.
    They tried it on me, but I told my OC that I'm going back on EXACTLY the 6 month point. Period.
    Has anyone else experienced the Army constantly trying to **** you over when you are on tour?
    Last time I checked WE were doing them the favour!
  2. Thats the difference between the TA and Regs. We gripe and get on with it you stamp your foot and "TELL" your OC what you will do. You are not suited to the forces. The forces are for the good of all not the individual.
  3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

How do you propose organising your flight home then? Planning to walk home or are you just going to tell your OC to book you one?

Check your mobilisation paperwork - I am fairly confident that it states that you have been mobilsed for up to 12 months, not specific start and end dates for tours.

Dry your eyes and get on with it.
  4. Yeah I did 7 months , its just tough luck am afraid just get on with it.
  5. 8+ tours of the TA showing the regulars, that we are professional and deserve a bit more respect than shown pre-telic - demolished in one post.
  6. Same thing happened on my tour, and they were well within their rights to do it. You've got to accept that these things happen when you put your self down to go, after all it not the TA tour being extended, all Telic tours are 7 months now.

If you make a fuss you'll just look a twat. As Duke said they own you for 12 months including leave, that’s what you agreed too, even if you didn't read the small print.

I'd keep your head down if I were you.
  7. I think you should wind your fecking neck in sunshine :threaten: its not just the TA that have had there tours extended some units came out here knowing they were doing a 7 month tour i bet you are attached to such a unit and you just didnt listen to your initial briefing that you got when you joined them
    I am in Baghdad at the minute and my tour has been extended by anything up to a month I had a bit of a winge when first told and i wasnt happy but its not as if i can just go to the airport and hop on a plane i am doing a job that cant be gaped so i have got to wait for my replacement to get here after the initial teddy in the corner moment i calmed down and realised that I dont tell the army what to do they tell me any way its extra lssa/lsa and op tour bonus :thumleft:
    and my 6 month point is a no fly day anyway so i would have been here a few days extra no mater what and the IZ in baghdad is not the worst place in the world to be
    i bet you dont go back before everyone else and i would love to see you insert slip it should be a cracker and i bet the rest of your tour is filled with all the sh!te jobs
  8. agreed
  9. agreed
  10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

We doing them a favour? GROW UP!! Firstly, you volunteered, and nowhere does it say you will be out there for exactly 6 months. TA Tours have been 7 Months + since 2004. Think about it for a second - for starters, you expected a hand-over, didn't you? Well, that means time in excess of your 6 Months - you will have to handover yourself. As does every other delay, ususally caused by things like the Army having many other priorities to think about.

And you don't 'tell' your OC - you are a bloody Soldier - HE tells YOU.

General view of the Thread so far - suck it in, and soldier on like a grown-up. You are on Ops.
  11. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

after 24 weeks in the sandpit, whats difference does it really make?
  12. All I'm saying is that face it, the MOD BEG people to go on their tours, because they can't retain the guys needed. This is a FACT.
    Once your'e in, then they try and change their story to make you stay for longer. They couldn't give a toss for your own personal circumstances and family life.
    And for the paperwork thing, yes I read it all, plus the JSP what came out, hence me telling the army where to stick it! :numberone:
    It's a sorry state of affairs where the army need to lie, because they only have dougnuts to do the job. hehe
  13. Leave the Army then you jack cnut.
  14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Please let us know how you get on with telling them where to stick it. Please also post confirmation that you have left the TA the minute you finish your POTL.

You obviously will not be claiming any more MTDs or bounties from this system that you despise so much.
  15. It would appear you knew about this at the start of your tour, (here) so why get out of your pram now?