OP TELIC - War Stories

sandfly

Clanker
Theres no requirement for the Battery to be Parachute trained. Its outside their operational remit and they are not part of Commando/Airborne Forces. Never say never though, and at the end of the day its another insertion method that a op party/patrol from the Bty could use, but there are people out there already providing this kind of support ie. 148 Bty/16 AA Bde Pathfinders.

Yeah, seems a bit odd though, doesn't it? Surely this would open up a whole new vista of employment opportunities to them.

sandfly

Clanker
No, not that odd really, for the reasons mentioned above, there are guys doing this job.

The Battery used to have a fair few ex 148/29 Cdo serving during my time there and even though between us we could have put together a parachute trained op party/patrol the lads Para trained did not jump or carry out refresher training as there was no requirement to.

Cynical-Subbie

Old-Salt
Gunner Magazine has just installed a new editor, who has so far only edited one issue (during the handover/takeover period). Therefore, I think you should allow time to see if this trait continues before passing judgement.

New editor. new ideas (though high level Gunner politics will no doubt have to be given due consideration- yawn).

Apologies Slope.

Off thread.....there must be a case for a common Advance Forces entry & syllabus given that they're all doing very similar things (esp since the advent of the SRCC etc)

Comments anyone ?

Snakes_R_Us

Old-Salt
sandfly said:
Theres no requirement for the Battery to be Parachute trained. Its outside their operational remit and they are not part of Commando/Airborne Forces. Never say never though, and at the end of the day its another insertion method that a op party/patrol from the Bty could use, but there are people out there already providing this kind of support ie. 148 Bty/16 AA Bde Pathfinders.
These are both Bde assets 4/73 are Div, so why not have this insertion method?

If they're Div assets (always thought they were Corps actually......) then why, when, for the only time we're ever going to, the British Army actually sent a division to go heavy warfighting, the Bty didn't go with it ? Anything to do with Arty politics ?(And don't say it wasn't because there wasn't a job to do; when it came to it the borrowed ANGLICOs were pretty busy and You Know Who ended up doing just what the Bty should have been doing........)

sandfly

Clanker
Not in their DRA mandate mate.
I can only assume that the option has been looked at but no operational justification was found. Having said that, I left the Troop/Bty some 10 years ago now and maybe one of the newer generation can enlighten us on this one.

Well, I received the latest version of Gunner mag this week, and guess what!!?? More articles about our very own Commando unit, the fighting 29th, which more or less exactly duplicate those seen previously in Gunner and Soldier.

Does the new boss have some secret agenda, or is it just matrimonial loyalty that's driving this shameless nepotism? :D

The new look mag is brill, by the way. Good drills! :D

QManWpns

Old-Salt
As an outsider looking in and not embellished with the cypher. Interesting that there was no mention of 3rd working alongside 29 on that pokey little island. More to the point, that 3rd were first in, 24 hrs ahead of the Bde. Oh and that 3rd had to support our Airborne brethren as they ran away from their guns taking a BSM to rally the troops and to get them to take post again.Comments?
Just send in youre Commander an surrender It dont matter if you cower or you runs you can shin up the trees or dig int the ground but you cant get away from the guns

Eddy_Webster

Swinger
Ha, how strange you sound Qman 8O Are you really qualifed to brag about such matters? Were you a member of the Sun bathing Battery? Which i do believe was caught quite literally with thier trousers round thier ankles by the CO 7 and DCOS, While the blokes from 16 AA Bde were on their belt buckles receiving some incoming, you lot were busy topping up your already browning bodies all around the pos! :lol: 8)
Without wanting to seem boring were you really 'first in' be very careful when trying to black dog others in such controversial matters.
Oh the BSM, mmm if i remember rightly that was a pep talk after again another night of potential hot metal dodging between the trails, not in a cosy turret or 436. :?:
I await your reply with much mirth, also check out your new BK HQ Bty, he may have the answers you require.

Nice one Eddy,

I dont mind hats but I hate cheeky lying ones!

I reckon this first in GW2 will get as boring as the nominal role for the embassy balcony!

Plus we all know the defence fire service are first in to check fire rules and regulations!

Harry

QManWpns

Old-Salt
Gentleman,Before this thread develops into a"My dad is better than your Dad"
I take particular disdain to be called a hat having served with 1 PARA beforehand for a finite period. Therefore, I have jumped from the air and by doing so have conqured fear and have been doing so since 1993. I found myself working with 617 TACP which is part of 3rds real estate. So gentleman I implore you to go back to your drawing boards and come up with something of substance and not the logical inference I must be a hat.
Everyman an Emperor

Eddy_Webster

Swinger
Mmm, sounds that was a bit close to heart, no inference meant to your social standing within the brotherhood!! :roll:
However you have quite tactically avoided my observations about your geographical location and state of dress over the period in question!! 8)
However enough of that tittle tattle, if your handle is your job spec, were you in the RLD? Poss serving from within Bde HQ? Or if you were TACP surely you were not part of 3rd, maybe i don't know, however remember this is only a bit of banter.:?

theboss

Old-Salt
QManWpns said:
As an outsider looking in and not embellished with the cypher. Interesting that there was no mention of 3rd working alongside 29 on that pokey little island. More to the point, that 3rd were first in, 24 hrs ahead of the Bde.
[/quote] I'm no expert on Telic - I was war dodging at the time! All I know is that in 3rd's gucci glossy Telic mag, published shortly thereafter, there was no mention of 29 as having taken part alongside 3rd at all. Until you see the AB 545 on one of the pages which has Gun Gp 3 RHA complete reinforcing CO 29 for the op. Wonder why 3rd didn't make that clear in their high quality publication?

Thruster

Clanker
War records are for hats. All the associated publications have to be self congratulatory - which unit's ever going to say, "We went all the way to Iraq, binned our primary equipment before crossing the LD and then spent the rest of the time rounding up prisoners.

The only credible records are those illegible ones written in lumocolor on the back of your hand, edge of you map or on the OSPREY TV screen (nice white board).

Latest Threads