OP TELIC - War Stories

Discussion in 'Iraq (Op TELIC)' started by GunnersQuadrant, May 6, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

Now that some of us are returning or have returned in my case from OP TELIC place your war stories/funnys on here instead of droning them out in every bar in the UK/BFG.  My favorite is the one soldier who whilst walking up on of the many Monopoly Roads (Names for those who were not there) in Kuwait was caught short in a sandstorm without his goggles.  What did he do on this busy desert track in Div Conc Area i hear you ask.  Placed on his respirator and carried on wondering why evry vehicle who passed his swerved off the road and why the guards from every camp he passed acted so funny.  This guy put 2/3rds of the div in 4R.  Me and my driver had a heart attck....   Your floor people
  2. 1.One of our blokes was working at div HQ main, he was asleep when they got a Scud warning just after one landed at camp commando. He grabbed his ressie (already in dress cat 4) ,run to one of the trenches and dived in. He couldn't understand why no-one else joined him in the trench till someone walked past and asked what he was doing in the shit trench.
    2.One of 7ths Btys came up on the Regt Net and said that they had around 250 POWs appraoching their posn, we got out our binos to check it out and saw 2 goatherds and their flock.
  3. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Any photos.....?
  4. GunnersQuadrant

Going to place them upon my PC soon then i will e mail them boss.
  5. GunnersQuadrant

Only around CR time..... :-X
  6. Well you will be making mine from now on Wont you Derz !!! ;D

I like black coffee no sugar!!

:D ;) ;D :D ;)
  7. GunnersQuadrant

What are you gabbling about.....
  8. GunnersQuadrant

Roger Out.  Or R AR.
  9. There was this one time, in band camp...

Will there be inter Regiment arguments in Gunner Mag about who did what or who killed/ conquered/ breached what first?  Soldier Magazine seems happy to print whingeing crap from subbies who want the world to know their bunch perhaps did something first.

Lucky we have a dependable bunch of lunatic old duffers running things in HQRA.
  10. Gunner mag is always full of cr*p from units blithering on about how fabulous they are, for a variety of spectacularly boring reasons. 'Wow, your unit was in Iraq - so were about 37000 other Brits - thanks for coming'.

I noticed the latest self-congratulatory recruiting piece from 29 Cdo Regt RA the other day - the tagline is: 'You're dreaming it, we're doing it!' YUK! This is coupled to pictures of guns being fired (wow) and helicopters (wow) in a vain attempt to create the idea that they are the only people that do anything. I notice not a single member of 29 Cdo received any gallantry awards in Iraq or Kosovo or Afghan or Sierra Leone etc etc. Perhaps other people were doing that while 29 Cdo were dreaming of receiving them...who knows!?

You mention Soldier mag as well. The March 2004 edition contains a truly ghastly article about 4/73 Bty RA, with the now obligatory pics of blokes firing sniper rifles in desert kit. I had no idea that 4/73 Bty were on Op TELIC at all - let alone deploying their sniper rifles all over the place. I know they are doing a very good job at the moment, but they didn't do it during war. That capability was left to 148 Bty, as usual, cos they aren't a bunch of walts, and they deliver consistently.

I am bracing myself for the inevitable deluge of awful articles from 1RHA on TELIC 4, guff from some Phoenix battery or other (Defending Iraqi Skies!!!!), and no doubt some pathetic tosh from an AD battery on adventure training somewhere.

Gunner mag should be more than a medium for pack-slapping and gross self-congratulation. It should inform the wider Gunner family about real issues, not 'my dad is bigger than your dad' articles.

11. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Perhaps the Air Defenders could give us some war stories about all the Iraqi aircraft that they shot down......

12. Pot, Kettle and Black :twisted: