Op TELIC Slang

Discussion in 'Iraq (Op TELIC)' started by Purple_Flash, May 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

A friend of a friend is compiling a new dictionary of army terminology, vernacular, slang etc. He is particularly keen to include any new terms coined during Op TELIC - for instance, Shaia-Biza, Shaia-Napa etc. It would be of great help to him (his publishers are breathing down his neck and he needs this stuff by early next week at the latest!)

If anyone has any slang terms from TELIC, please share them.

Ideas might include slang names for locals, the country as a whole, Bravos, forms/methods of attack on us, coalition partners etc.

Please do not just make them up - this is a serious piece of work!

2. Basra Air Station - Baz Vegas!
  3. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Iraq- $hithole
  4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The D&V outbreak on Telic 5 - the Brown Tide or Brown Tsunami
  5. Shaiba was always Shite-ba during my trip there.

I hope he is including BFOT, I know it is pre Telic but it is a classic
  6. Hamsters and Gerbils = Sunni and Shite Iraqi's
  7. Purple_Flash

Could you expound on what BFOT is?
  8. BFOT is one up/larger than MFOT.
  9. Purple_Flash

Thanks for the further info but please bear in mind that this is being written for civilians - he will need to know what the acronyms mean!
  10. BFOT - Big Fcuk Off Tent.

During the early 90's HQs at Bde level adopted a large tent in which to work (rather than the back of 436 armoured veh). The tent allowed the staff to leave the back of their panzers and work in one environment. Not all informed as the red brick wasn't remoted, and a sod to erect and drop, especially when Bde moves every 12 hours. Very unpopular with the siggies who are responsible for erecting and dropping the thing.
  11. Ahh, its better than painting the grass, sweeping up the dust in the desert or bulling their boots up to the third eyelet......
  12. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

HQ 1 Div for TELIC 1 wanted to develop a more "streamlined" HQ so as to be more mobile. So a slimmed down tent was produced...named as the SFOT - Small F**k Off Tent. Those that worked in it will remember that it was pretty much the same number of people in a smaller space!
  13. "Point of no return" The point at which you are fartest away from all available crappers, your guts are killing and you know you're not going to make it back.
  14. Telic itself stands for;

Well it makes sense anyhow.....
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I see from the personal accounts in Richard Holmes' 'Dusty Warriors' that the word 'contact' is expanding its meaning to become synonymous with being fired at - one soldier said his vehicle was 'contacted' by the enemy and another said he 'came under heavy contact'.

Another expanded usage (to me) is the apparent use of 'multiple' to mean a single sub-unit in the form of one Warrior and its crew and dismounts. Though I may have that one wrong, or may have misunderstood the Brigadier.