OP TELIC Pre-Deployment Training

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Whistleblower, Jun 9, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am currently down in Folkstone doing Pre-deployment training for OP TELIC - i think my cover is safe, there are about 600 of us here!
    To be honest i think the training here has been dreadful - was really expecting better as we have been sending people to Iraq for over a year now. Is it just me or are the instructors just having a bad day?

2. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

What things, particularly, would you single out as being bad? Tell us and let's hope that someone with authority over the DS reads this board.

3. Okay a few examples:

1. Joining instructions were 20 pages long - only 1 page of which was relevant to those attending. (the remainder was things like who was booking the projector etc)
    2. Reception arrangements not set up on time and in a different place to the instruction.
    3. No sheets available - just a matress cover (no mention in the joining instructions about bringing your own bedding.
    4. Food ran out at lunchtime both days - if you were in the last 50 in the queue you got no lunch - civvie contractors refused to cook more and blamed othere for taking too much.
    5. Lectures over-ran and some were irrelevant.
    6. Projector didn't work - most lectures were without videos and/or powerpoint.
    7. Outdoor stands were generally badly taught (not all) and again irrelevant to 90% of the audience.
    Do you need more?..........

4. Okay a few examples:

1. Joining instructions were 20 pages long - only 1 page of which was relevant to those attending. (the remainder was things like who was booking the projector etc)
    2. Reception arrangements not set up on time and in a different place to the instruction.
    3. No sheets available - just a matress cover (no mention in the joining instructions about bringing your own bedding.
    4. Food ran out at lunchtime both days - if you were in the last 50 in the queue you got no lunch - civvie contractors refused to cook more and blamed othere for taking too much.
    5. Lectures over-ran and some were irrelevant.
    6. Projector didn't work - most lectures were without videos and/or powerpoint.
    7. Outdoor stands were generally badly taught (not all) and again irrelevant to 90% of the audience.
    Do you need more?..........

5. 8O disgraceful state of affairs. I'm shocked...although I shouldn't be...pisss up and brewery spring to mind though.

6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Failing to warn units to bring sleeping bags/bedding is poor organisation. Failing to ensure that everyone is fed is a disgrace. What did those in command do about it?

7. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Hey Whistle,

I'm just an elderly STABsREMF who deployed to Op Telic 1 ( so far back I had to send my laundry fwd etc, just inside Iraqi border) BUT

without breaking OPsEc I'd be interested to know what the professional infantry package offered you in terms of WHITE FLEET vehicle drills, if anything ?

[ it's a hobby-horse!]

Thanks and best of luck with the deployment,

Le Chevre

8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Hey Whistle,

I'm just an elderly STABsREMF who deployed to Op Telic 1 ( so far back I had to send my laundry fwd etc, just inside Iraqi border) BUT

without breaking OPsEc I'd be interested to know what the professional infantry package offered you in terms of WHITE FLEET vehicle drills, if anything ?

[ it's a hobby-horse!]

Thanks and best of luck with the deployment,

Le Chevre

9. They probably sat in a conference talking about irrelevant drivel.

At least there is now a pre-deployment package, some of us from Telic 1 got minimal build up training, from the training we got from DS we could have probably done better by ourselves, etc.

10. White vehicle drills - not even mentioned!

11. I have not deployed nor am I likely to deploy now i'm out but I have heard that pre-deployment training has gone right down the drains in the last 18 months and seems to be getting worse.

12. I have not deployed nor am I likely to deploy now i'm out but I have heard that pre-deployment training has gone right down the drains in the last 18 months and seems to be getting worse.

13. FBW

FBW Old-Salt

Ive been to chilwell a fair few times in the last few years and have seen the standard of training get worse over the years
    when i went the first time in 2001 most of the staff were TA on FTRS and understood the problems TA and Reserve Soldiers had but when i went last year when they were on fulll time telic mode most of the staff were Regs ,not meaning to disrespect Regs (i used to be one) but most of them thought they were at ATRs and treated most people like week one crows

:roll:

P.S the scoff was shite first time i went and still is , got moaned at on questionaire when mentioned this :p

14. OUR pre deployment package was shite grantham ok apart from day wasted on nbc this was for telic3 . then 2weeks in germany when it was basically teach yourself and if there hadnt been blokes who had done finegal the year before we would have been stuck.
    the civi contractors need battering and who ever heard of a cookhouse not being able to feed troops ?

15. Having seen the results I can help out with the question of White Fleet Drills

Turn the Aircon on,
    Turn the stereo up
    Turn onto flowerpot alley (OOB)
    Wave at the nice men in shamaghs
    and I`ll fcking clear up the mess after the IED functions.

Get a SNATCH not a Discovery. :evil: :evil: