• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Op TELIC Medal

1. I recently received my Op TELIC 1 medal which came in pieces and minus any attachment pin. I would be grateful if anyone knows how long the ribbon should be.

2. While we are on the subject, does anyone know how long the little piece of ribbon should be when sewn onto No.1 dress?

Ventress

LE
Give it to a reputable tailor and they will do the business. But I am sure some Mat Regs surfer will post the facts and figures!

Still waiting for my Afghanistan Medal from 2002!!! Had to chase it up myself at my old unit because they forgot to apply for it, had to chase at my new unit its arrived but still waiting to get it presented! Old unit didn't sort out Iraq medal either, apparently medal office is still working through Junes paperwork they're so behind, so that'll be a long time coming.

E

error_unknown

FNUSNU said:
apparently medal office is still working through Junes paperwork they're so behind, so that'll be a long time coming.
Yes, and that's June 1834...

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Of course, it helps if your local MP (Sedgefield constituency) can come to present them, like those from a certain REME Bn who were out there with us.
Thus, one of the three Bns contributing troops to reinforce TELIC 2 has got medals, the other two haven't as yet - and no sign of anything in the future, either. :evil:

OldSnowy said

Of course, it helps if your local MP (Sedgefield constituency) can come to present them, like those from a certain REME Bn who were out there with us.
Fast tracked Snowy?

No favours, just quicker and Dear Leader has no recollection of putting the applications in the ministerial briefcase and anyway, he did it for love. His integrity is intact.

My Unit was out there for the kick off in Mar 2003, I've heard from a reliable source (our WO) that our TELIC medals have only just landed on his desk. Of course now he wants a parade! :(

So minimum 18 month waiting list then ?

Also heard that there was some confusion between who applies for it. The reg units the TA served with thought the 'home' TA units would apply and vice versa, result some of those TA on Telic 1 have been forgotten.

But I agree with Old Snowy, best way to speed up the process is organise a parade, invite a Labour MP and plenty of local press to cover the event, to make the presentations and then issue the warning order to the medals office.

The most important element being to get the press there.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
My TA unit was mobilised for Telic 1 - first through Chilwell in Jan 2003.

Two years downstream I am not aware that anyone in the unit has received their medal. Me neither.

Article in this weekends Sunday Mere at

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/...teid=106694&headline=gong-awol-name_page.html

------------------extract-----------------------------------------------------------

Government officials proudly announced shortly after the war that each serviceman or woman would get an "Iraq medal".

But less than half of the 80,000 eligible soldiers, sailors and airmen have so far received them.

Last night a senior serving officer branded the situation "shameful".

He added: "The fact that these troops have yet to receive their medals is a disgrace.

"They performed outstandingly in Iraq and Ministers launched the Iraq medal with a great fanfare.

"Now it seems the announcement was nothing short of a publicity stunt.

"Why on earth does it take two years to provide our heroes with a basic Iraq war medal."

Announcing the medal in February, 2004, Armed Forces Minister Adam Ingram said: "The medal recognises the collective bravery and achievements of the military and civilian personnel who risked so much to remove Saddam Hussein's oppressive regime.

"I am sure that the recipients of the medal will wear it with pride."

But many have been unable to. In September, seven months later, fewer than 6,000 of 21,000 Army medals had been issued, according to internal Army documents.

Military chiefs then ordered that all medals - for all services - be issued in time for the Remembrance Day parade on November 14. But the troops never got them.

The Ministry of Defence last night admitted it will still be months before they do. Shadow Defence Minister Keith Simpson said: "The award of these medals is important to our service personnel.

"For many, the failure of the MoD to deliver them on time will be symptomatic of the wider problems of a shortage of kit and equipment."

---------------------------------ends-------------------------------------

HELLS BELLS AND BUCKETS OF BLOOD AG, - GET A BLOODY GRIP !!

Just draft 200 AGC SPS staff into Droitwich for a month and SORT IT!

A little while ago, I suggested to Good CO that ARRSE might like to offer people the chance to have the TELIC medal ribbon on their profile -

'COS FOR SOME OF US IT'S ABOUT THE ONLY DAMN PLACE WELL EVER SEE THE DAMN THING - AND NO, I DON'T GIVE A SHAG HOW LONG IT TOOK THE SODDIN' SUEZ VETS TO GET THEIRS - THAT WAS A DISGRACE TOO!!
:evil: :evil:

Latest Threads