Op Telic - dumb Q

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Goatman, Nov 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Stupid question relating to a footnote in history,,,

re Saddam's chemical warfare capability .....did anyone ever find any real evidence of 'weaponized pesticdes' ?

I have a pic somewhere of Fuchs lined up waiting to be shipped home...did they ever detect anything ?

Opsec on a conflict that ended in 2009? ...yeah,whatever....

2. I reported some strange stuff in tins found in a barracks near the boarder and the NBC gurus duly turned up to investigate but it turned out to be tins of Vim or something similar.

3. Not enough to count.

4. Trollage destroyed everything, so we'll never know.

5. The simple answer is "No". There were occasional finds of chemical munitions from the Iran/Iraq war era. In fact one of them was wired up to an IED in 2004 outside Camp Slayer near to Route Irish. When the scene was examined afterwards the staff from the Iraq Survey Group field lab were creaming themselves when they obtained strong readings for a chemical agent. The ISG got quite excited about it at the time because there remained uncertainty about WMD existence, although confidence was fading. I believe that the Slayer IED turned out to contain Sarin. In February 2004 Charles Duelfer the incoming director of the ISG re-focused the mission to prove the regime's strategic intent to possess WMD - a shrewd tactic. By June 2004 the ISG were satisfied that the existence of WMD materiel in Iraq was highly unlikely. Charles Duelfer's memoir "Hide and Seek" has more detail. If you have a lot of time on your hands Duelfer's comprehensive report is on the net.

6. i remember 2LSR supporting engineers near the iranian border who were blowing up old munitions which included sarin shells early in 2006, i'm not sure if this was confirmed or not i just remember everyone had to dig out NBC kit.

7. The Danish Battle Group found some Chlorine Mortar rounds in their AO near the Iranian border on Op Telic 3, but they were so corroded and degraded that they were useless and would probably have killed anybody who tried to stick them in a mortar tube, so hardly the smoking gun. The Chlorine in them wasn't in a functional state either, it would have made better use in a swimming pool.
    And I think that was the closest anybody came!

8. Do the portaloos count? ;)

• Like Like x 4
  9. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Iraq's WMD were largely the creation of this chap and a spectacular screw up by Western intelligence, so no. The book 'Curveball' covers the whole sorry saga rather well.

Curveball (informant) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the subject of unsolved mysteries - did anyone ever get to the bottom of whether the complex outside of Az Zubayr was really a death factory or whether it was just used to store bodies from the Iran Iraq bust-up and the media did the rest?

10. Nothing to see.jpg

Move along.

11. Isn't that the Silkworm anti-ship missile they found in Umm Qasr?

12. It's actually the inert training version at the naval school. A random point to post on a CBRN thread??

13. I thought it a random picture for a CBRN thread.

14. They certainly did for the poor cnut who was in the one that blew over at Arifjan, casevaced faster than a speeding bullet...

15. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for those who did...appreciated - especially Walrus Boy....as ever, Arrse saves me from looking more of a dick than I can habitually manage without benefit of clergy ...ta. :thumright: