Op Shader medal?

I can attest to that. A certain US 4* openly.admitted he liked visiting basra due to getting alchohol at 1 Div. Another SBMRI hosted legendary dinners at the Brit house that saw multiple shitfaced US 2*s.

One of my proudest claims was that I initiated OP-JENSTAR, the covert re supply of our Baghdad MN-C staff with beer and Spirits, on T4 (Along with my old OC, who was one of the MND-SE LOs up there), The name Jenstar was used as that was what was sprayed on the outside of the BAZBAR refer. We would fly it up and be picked up by the RM FP team, stay overnight in Brit house, then fly back down. The Senior Brit at the time (General Graham) passed back his thanks and said that getting a decision from a coalition member, could be made a lot easier over a dram. I believe this went on for some time after we had gone home.

I also agree that the Waddington Reaper crews should get recognition, as they are killing our enemies.

Absolutely the right answer and the psychological challenge of shifting from normality to killing people on a shift basis over an extended period is something we can currently only guess at. The evidence we do have of the trauma of troops making too rapid a transition from killing to normality tells us that there are going to be issues and if we remove the moral vindication for operators by letting the idea get hold that somehow drone warfare isn't 'proper fighting' or is in some way underhand or dishonourable, we're going to screw them up even more.

If we truly believe the mantra that a psychological casualty is as much of a casualty as a physical casualty, and we should, then the risk element is more than spoken for. How we fight is changing and how we recognise those who do that fighting and sustain their moral component needs to adapt accordingly.

Sorry I can only give one like for that. I had talked about a book, on here before called “On Killing” by Lt Col Dave Grossman. An Ex US Ranger and Psychology Professor, the book deals with the Psychological cost of learning to kill in war and society.

The effect of killing the enemy on a shift then driving home to deal with mundane normal issues (Of which I would guess, you could not discuss with your family , due to Op sec, must be massive). I imagine that the burn out, compared to conventional (Fast Jet) air crew. Will be very closely looked at in the coming years.

I see where your coming from, but the OSM, isn't really a medal in its own right, it's only the ribbon that denotes which campaign it was for (re Afghan clasp considered). I think it's a bit of a cop out and saves them having to come up with a new design each time, but on the plus side it moves away from the GSM with multiple clasps, but only one medal to show for multiple deployments.
True the OSM Iraq & Syria medal will be like OSM Afghan but the outer band on the ribbon will be "Air Superiority Grey" and will bear a clasp 'Iraq & Syria.' Same medal design as OSM Afghanistan as below. Ribbon alone will have a rosette. In case anyone was wondering that is.
D0378BD0-C196-4E3D-910E-59EA8EC56A96-1016-00000320A64A6401.jpeg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Current Affairs, News and Analysis 24
Shamus Current Affairs, News and Analysis 17
I The Intelligence Cell 3