Op Shader medal?

Ladies/Gents,

Has anyone heard anything about what medal will be issued for Op Shader, if any at all. I assume one will be at some point? It appears that the Yanks are just going to re issued their GWOT medal. Just wondered whether the old GSM Air Ops will make a come back or will a new medal be awarded?

I doubt the GSM will be re-introduced, so the most likely outcome is a NATO issue once the tempo picks up.

Sent from my GT-I9070P using ARRSE mobile app

5 months in and still no news on a medal? Yet they were quick enough to announce the Ebola medal!!

Why would it be a NATO medal? Perhaps a clasp on the OSM.

Agreed, I can't see how it could be a NATO medal. An OSM would appear to be the most likely option, but the silence re any medal is deafening, don't you think?

Agreed, I can't see how it could be a NATO medal. An OSM would appear to be the most likely option, but the silence re any medal is deafening, don't you think?
Only to bling-obsessed saddos who would have no snags with wearing a gong they'd earned for windsurfing lessons on Buttons' Beach.

No news yet because in an enduring campaign where there is a lot of complex goings on right now, worrying about a medal is thankfully near the bottom of their lordships intray.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

No news yet because in an enduring campaign where there is a lot of complex goings on right now, worrying about a medal is thankfully near the bottom of their lordships intray.

Typical civil serpent answer. Don't you know that our Heroes won't go to war unless there is a promise of a big medal within 7 days...Daily Mail needs to take this on.

Typical civil serpent answer. Don't you know that our Heroes won't go to war unless there is a promise of a big medal within 7 days...Daily Mail needs to take this on.

Have you considered standing for Parliament on a ticket of VC and VRs for all by any chance?

It'll be a clasp for the OSM which replaced the GSM as the medal for everything.

Job jobbed.

I think that's going to be a distinct possibility. I believe the reason why nothing has been announced yet (unlike our American cousins), is because their going to see how it pans out. I believe that had it been known what Afghanistan would become, it would have had a medal in it's own right (like Iraq did), especially when you consider the OSM DROC which passed virtually unnoticed.

It'll be a clasp for the OSM which replaced the GSM as the medal for everything.

Job jobbed.
eh??? WTF? The OSM hasn't replaced the GSM as the medal for everything. The GSM 08 will be launched later this year; if SHADER is deemed to meet the risk & rigour criteria then there will be a bar for the new GSM, or a separate OSM for Op SHADER will be launched. The former is more likely than the latter and will only be awarded for very specific criteria...or, based on the complexity and dispersment of troops involved, nothing at all may be awarded.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gunnergrandad29 Medals 8
Bagl0ck Military History and Militaria 44
Old Stab Medals 30