Op Poppy Drop

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by singha61, Feb 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Free fall parachute jump over Mt Everest Oct 2008

It is widely believed that there needs to be a greater emphasis on the provision of medical care and support for injured British service personnel and their families. Whether it is the responsibility of the Government or charitable organisations is debatable.

The objective of Op Poppy Drop is to raise as much money as possible for the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal.

http://www.oppoppydrop.page.tl/

2. s61 thanks for picking this up :clap:

Those of you who have looked at the website Op Poppy Drop will be aware that the skydive is an 'Everest First'. I admit that I'm getting on a bit now and not wanting to be the old wrinkly behind the yaks on the trek I have embarked on a bit of training. Being fortunate enough to live in a mountainous area in Spain I have the ideal location for some tabbing right on the doorstep. So it was that last Sunday me, Mrs Skydog and the furry dog set off. I reckoned on about 3.5 hours tab then a visit to the local hostelry for a spot of lunch and a few cold beers.

It should have been a doddle, after all there were kids on the trail. What I didn't reckon on was Mrs S's navigation skills (I'll blame it on her anyway) and 6 hours later with even the dog glaring at me we eventually got to the pub. We missed lunch but by god were those beers welcome.

Moral of the story, if the wife wants to go one way and the dog wants to go another....follow the dog! Sadly the dog won't be coming with us to Everest but at least I don't have to rely on Mrs S doing the trailblazing as we have Sherpas to get us to the DZ.

Fundraising is going steadily but if everyone who had viewed the various threads on ARRSE and the Purples had put a tenner in the tin we would have raised over another £5k. Thanks to all those who have donated so far, please keep it going and tell your mates about Op Poppy Drop. The more people that know, the more money we can hopefully raise. :boogie:

Attached Files:

3. Which side does he plan landing on? It doesn't give much info on the link. Surely he's not going to hit the summit?

4. No, I'm not landing on the summit although that would be one hell of a BASE jump from there. We are being dropped at 29,500 ft, will freefall past the face of Everest and (hopefully) land at the Syangboche airstrip at 12,350 ft.

5. I thought not. Good luck to you, i've just made my donation online.

6. Thanks Franco much appreciated