Op Overlord, Raised Glasses

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Mighty_doh_nut, Jun 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Won't be around tomorrow and 64 years on, its fitting to raise a glass the former Corps members and Ancestors involved in Operation Overlord. In particular Operations Tonga & Mallard (but in no way belittled other efforts) which saw the GLider Pilot Regiment placed firmly on the map.

S/sgts Wallwork and Ainsworth being the first allied soldiers to land on French soil, albeit it slightly ungracefully, but after a truly legendary peice of flying.

92 further gliders took part in Operation Tonga..One of the 'ninety-two' was flown by S/Sgt 'Jock' Bramah and Sgt Ron Bartley. They and their two medic passengers both survived a 100mph (160km) crash into an orchard with nothing more than cuts and bruises. The medical jeep, had to be abandoned. (Pretty f**king ballsy? :D)

Feeling immensely proud that our Guidon carries the Glider Pilot Regiment battle honours, tonight I'll be raising a glass in thanks, and in tribute to those who gave their today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Here Here!
    And to Thomas Walters (R Sigs) who bounced out of one of them gliders and got himself an MM.

Attached Files:

3. I would like to remember my old neighbour and friend Wally Parr who is now taking part in the big re-org in the sky along with so many of his compatriots

"Ham and Jam"

4. I was once privileged to wear a glider badge on my arm. God bless them all.

5. Can't really add more than MDN has.

Incredibly proud that my Corps was spawned from such men and a large glass will be raised in their honour.

6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

AAC mad buggers the lot of ya.

scuse me since its now the 6th if I crack a beer to the memory of those that went before us.

slangivar

7. Massive kahooners. A large bucket of ale will be raised tonight.

I recommend everyone to pop down to the Museum of Army Flying and spend time looking and reading about the gallant chaps who carried out the actions on the night of the 5th/6th June.

Ironically, I landed tonight at 16 minutes past midnight tonight (64 years later exactly) but had the advantage of having two engines, NVG and no one shooting at me. To even imagine what those chaps went through and what they gave, one cannot even begin to think. It certainly makes me feel very proud to be a part of a Corps that has such a rich and gallant history.

Heres to you boys. :salut:

[​IMG]

8. That Guidon appears to be minus the GPR honours.

9. Good spot. Ironically, I pulled it off the AAC section of the Army website. I shall inform them tomorrow!!

I've edited it to reflect the current Guidon. :wink:

10. I've also just noticed that the animated Guidon (and the link it leads to) on the AACA site is missing the GPR battle honours as well!!

Seen as they are the main link to the GPRA site, that is really bad drills!!

Any chance of nudging someone about that as well Flash?

11. I have just informed the web bloke at the official Army website. The AACA site is now defunct and I dont think its maintained any more. Army Aviation took over from that site so I'm afraid I cant do anything about the AACA site.

12. Gentlemen. Thankyou for what you did all those years ago. Because of you and your ilk I am here today living in freedom and in a society that takes that freedom and, more importantly, your sacrifices for granted. I will raise a glass in your memory.

Fablon.

13. Let us also remember the brave men of The Hampshire Regiment who were the first British troops to land on the beaches.

14. And a large unicum (a local concoction) will be raised in memory of my uncle (promoted 4 times to Sgt) who was awarded a MiD for assisting a RAMC officer treat and evacuate wounded from a crashed glider under heavy fire (officer got an immediate DSO).

Silly bugger had enough of combat so transferred to the 1st Airbone Division looking for a bit of peace and quiet back in the UK. He thought the use of paratroops, of which he was one, was over...

...he got a hell of a surprise at Arnhem!

15. Hat's off, beer glass raised in respect and admiration.
    Went to the beaches and bridges a few years ago, including the cemeteries. One of the most moving, inspirational things I have ever done.